Ford real time help -- stuck on brake rotor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi I'm another 'can't get the damned thing off to save my life' and I have beaten, heated (oxy welding torch), pried, kicked, and tapped, to no avail. This bitch is a 1987 Dodge Ram Van B250, and I had a stripped lug nut that just spun, so I had to grind it off (ugly and time consuming) and now this.

The worst part is that this is wheel # 3 (2 drums before that) that I've looked at to troubleshoot a brake warning light and worsening pedal. Everything looks beautiful, with no leaks and at least 1/2 - 2/3 pad/disk remaining and good steel. I'm seriously hoping for a mess at wheel #4 when I get there.

So anyhow after swing a 10# sledge very hard as Gumby suggested, over and over, preceded by a 5#, and then a combination of the two with heat, I collapsed exhausted in my garage desk chair and fell asleep. It's one of the first beautiful days of spring in Chicago.

Sometimes what we need is a change of perspective more than anything. I woke up after 45 minutes or so and thought about it again, and then it hit me. When I did this 2 years ago I had the same problem until I figured out that on this vehicle you need to pull the hub center cap, cotter pin, locking nut and bearings, and then the whole thing slides right off. I was never going to get it this way.

This is an odd case, but I signed up just to relay it here because this thread would've been helpful otherwise. Another helpful trick that I can't try because of my old, strange calipers is the bolt/locknut trick like in the video below. I don't have the holes anyhow, but this will save a lot of beating. Recommend putting a rag or cardboard up against the rotor to prevent marring it.

Good luck to anyone in this boat. It's one of the most frustrating things I've ever tackled in my 40 years under a car, and you often need brains AND a BFH. Don't forget to stop, think, and let the penetrating oil sink in. Save your heart.
-mz

Hi I'm another 'can't get the damned thing off to save my life' and I have beaten, heated (oxy welding torch), pried, kicked, and tapped, to no avail. This bitch is a 1987 Dodge Ram Van B250, and I had a stripped lug nut that just spun, so I had to grind it off (ugly and time consuming) and now this.

The worst part is that this is wheel # 3 (2 drums before that) that I've looked at to troubleshoot a brake warning light and worsening pedal. Everything looks beautiful, with no leaks and at least 1/2 - 2/3 pad/disk remaining and good steel. I'm seriously hoping for a mess at wheel #4 when I get there.

So anyhow after swing a 10# sledge very hard as Gumby suggested, over and over, preceded by a 5#, and then a combination of the two with heat, I collapsed exhausted in my garage desk chair and fell asleep. It's one of the first beautiful days of spring in Chicago.

Sometimes what we need is a change of perspective more than anything. I woke up after 45 minutes or so and thought about it again, and then it hit me. When I did this 2 years ago I had the same problem until I figured out that on this vehicle you need to pull the hub center cap, cotter pin, locking nut and bearings, and then the whole thing slides right off. I was never going to get it this way.

This is an odd case, but I signed up just to relay it here because this thread would've been helpful otherwise. Another helpful trick that I can't try because of my old, strange calipers is the bolt/locknut trick like in the video below. I don't have the holes anyhow, but this will save a lot of beating. Recommend putting a rag or cardboard up against the rotor to prevent marring it.

Good luck to anyone in this boat. It's one of the most frustrating things I've ever tackled in my 40 years under a car, and you often need brains AND a BFH. Don't forget to stop, think, and let the penetrating oil sink in. Save your heart.
-mz

i used a digging bar to hit the rotors to knock them loose, hit the brake rotor on the outside of the disc. loosened the back rotors easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom