Real-Time Help: Stuck Drum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Cannot get a drum off. Have turned the star wheel the proper way until it stopped. Slack in the emergency brake cable. Whacked the drum with a sledge. Used bolts in the screw holes on the drum face and something moved inside and don't sound good :doh:.

Thinking about running out and buying a drum puller. Any other ideas?

You removed the phillips head screw, right?

maybe use some heat? If you are sure that the shoes are adjusted all the way in, then it could be that the axle hub is rusted into the drum. some heat and/or a penetrating oil may help. Although I hesitate to recommend the penetrating oil depending what you are doing. If you soak the shoes you might have to replace them and you don't say why you are taking the drums off.

I have a length of 1" square tube longer than the diameter of the drum and I bolt it onto the drum using the two threaded holes. This gives me a nice lever arm and handle. You can hammer on the tube that extends past the drum to help break the rust seal and coax it off.

Hitting the drum with a hammer around it's sides won't hurt the drum.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm replacing the cylinder and hardware and planned on keeping the shoes. However, if I have to replace the shoes because they are soaked with penetrating oil then that is what I have to do. I look for a phillips heads screw to no avail. I removed the other drum with no problem and there was no screw.

Sounds like some PB Blaster and a sledge are the next move.

You removed the phillips head screw, right?

maybe use some heat? If you are sure that the shoes are adjusted all the way in, then it could be that the axle hub is rusted into the drum. some heat and/or a penetrating oil may help. Although I hesitate to recommend the penetrating oil depending what you are doing. If you soak the shoes you might have to replace them and you don't say why you are taking the drums off.

I have a length of 1" square tube longer than the diameter of the drum and I bolt it onto the drum using the two threaded holes. This gives me a nice lever arm and handle. You can hammer on the tube that extends past the drum to help break the rust seal and coax it off.

Hitting the drum with a hammer around it's sides won't hurt the drum.

If you're reasonably certain the drum is rusted to the axle flange, then perhaps you may have to resort to opening the diff and pulling the whole shaft out.
Try a long soak in penetrating oil and some heat before any of that mess above.

lol. I got so mad once I dropped the bastid car on the drum.............off she flew:lol:

kids dont try this at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom