Real time Help - Rusted/Stripped Bolts on Catalytic Converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DocuDude

Took me 10 years to find this space
Threads
I have time today to replace my cat. The rear three bolts came off easy enough, but the three front ones are rusted/stripped to all hell.

I have PB blasted since yesterday. But whoever put these on used different size bolts and nuts, add 20 years of rust and crap and even my vice grip pliers cant get the job done.

What can I use to snap/break/remove these bolts without causing damage to anything else. I got fresh zinc bolts to replace them with...just need to get these off.

Thanks

I have always had good luck with heat. Get a small torch and heat them up then try and break them loose.

You also have the option of using an angle grinder or a dremel. They are small enough tools to get in there and chop off the bolt. Then if it still won't come out you can drill it out. Try heat first, easier and less destructive to the truck.

Heat, and breaker bars will work - you may have to get creative. If you have enough space around the nut, then a nut breaker will also do the trick.
nut breakers.jpg

X2 ... Benz-0-matic till they're red hot, more PB Blaster, hold both ends with vise grips... Or cut 'em off with cut-off tool, hacksaw, if you have one.

Use good quality, high-temp anti-seize on the new bolts/nuts.

will any type of propane torch work?

anything flammable near the catalytic converter that i should be concerned about?

how long do i put the flame to the bolt?

thanks

If you're gonna buy one, get the one with the YELLOW cylinders (mapp gas) instead of the blue tank -- Mapp gas burns hotter and will work much better and faster. A dollar or two more, but worth it.

Lowe's or Home Decrepit has them.

Nothing really flammable near there, except the stuff in the gas tank. If you're not leaking gas, you're ok. The CAT obviously runs hot so the truck is made to withstand high-temps in that vicinity.

Just keep the flame directed close on the nuts until they get red hot -- If you're using mapp gas should only take 3-5 min. Maybe not even that much. You can spray with PB Blaster as the bolts/nuts are cooling and sometimes that helps wick the penetrant into the threads.'

But it might be cheaper and faster to just use one of the NUT - BUSTERS , shown above, to do it... Cheap at Harbor Freight, if there's one near you.

Where in LA are you? There's HF everwhere, here.
phpThumb.php.jpg

Well got two done of the final three.

I think 24 hours of constant PB blaster finally worked. I started it yesterday, and every 15 minutes or so, I reapplied and let soak for a few minutes.

I also put work gloves on, seemed to help with grip (and stopped my pinky from being bashed all the time. got a nice bleeding bruise going)

One more bolt to go--- The top one that is a super pain in the ass to do.:bang:

I am hoping to not need a torch for this last one.

Is there a rubber seal that goes between the cat and the pipes it connects too??

I love my 60, but i HATE RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I got the last bolt off. I went with a mini-hacksaw....30 minutes later--it POPPED off!!!!

Be sure to wear goggles and a mask if you use the hacksaw.

My smog smells like roses now!!! Let's hope it passes!

Well I got the last bolt off. I went with a mini-hacksaw....30 minutes later--it POPPED off!!!!

Be sure to wear goggles and a mask if you use the hacksaw.

My smog smells like roses now!!! Let's hope it passes!

what kind of smell were you getting out of there?

The same smell when you walk out to the middle of NYC for the first time. Lots of smog crap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom