Real time help, Rear view mirror wiring > vss dtc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quite the afternoon here in Big Bend.

Rear view mirror popped off after a 30 mile run on a bumpy road. Epoxy kit from autozone was not helping so I went head and cut it down so it didn’t damage the rest of the wiring and it wouldn’t be dangling/bumping around.

To my surprise that killed my instrument panel. Truck ran fine for about 60 miles. After stopping for a bit and then getting back on the road it went into limp mode after another 13 miles.

Long story short the truck is in front of the terlingua cemetery and I’m waiting at the starlight for a tow back to marathon.

Planning on splicing the wiring back together in the morning and driving back to Austin.

Am I missing anything here?? Can someone explain why the mirror wiring killed my instruments????

Truck was throwing vss codes and cleared them

Patched the wiring and it’s still not running properly.

Any thoughts here besides me being dumbass?

So you spliced the wires back into the mirror and no difference? Remove negative battery cable and let it sit for a while and reinstall, see if that does anything for you.

I can't imagine Toyota would wire the rear view mirror in such a way where the vehicle wouldn't run without it. However this makes me not want to remove mine like I have been wanting to.

If you cut the wires while they had power you may have shorted something together and blown a fuse or similar. If the key was in the ACC or ON position, or you didn't wait minutes for the courtesy power to turn off (for interior lights and other things) then the wires may have still been energized.

If you cut the wires while they had power you may have shorted something together and blown a fuse or similar. If the key was in the ACC or ON position, or you didn't wait minutes for the courtesy power to turn off (for interior lights and other things) then the wires may have still been energized.
Makes sense...but enough to cause the vehicle to go into limp mode? Maybe blowing a fuse for that circuit but to have the dash go out and limp mode seems pretty wild.

Had a windshield shop cut the wires to mine once when they replaced the windshield; don't ask. I'm assuming when they did it the key was off because the truck drove around fine. This was while we waited for a new mirror at their expense. It sounds like you probably shorted something out when you cut the wires because just having it unplugged doesn't really cause any issues. Just for future reference, if you want to unplug it just take a couple of screw out of the overhead light panel and you'll see where it plugs in. I know you may not have had a screw driver handy though.

Oh, I had one handy just completely didn’t think to try that, which stings a bit. Lol.

It was throwing a vss code P0500 before I reset it. Everyone/thing is back at home. I’ll check some fuses tomorrow. It did have to be jumped when it came off the tow truck. Stuttered for a bit then died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom