Real time help, please! OME shocks and bushings? aaaarghhhh....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
about to put in OME shocks on the rig... thoroughly confused!

I need to decide how to put in the locator washer(s) on the bushings.

Problem is this:

- one OME instruction sheet I have shows only one locator washer on the outside of the mounting bracket (instruction sheet 600-023-095)

- another OME instruction sheet I have shows two locator washers, one on each side of the mounting bracket (instruction sheet 600-023-067)

- Christo's instructions shows only one locator washer on the inside of the mounting bracket (same as OEM?)

all insist that the order of the bushings and locator washers is important!

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!

so which is it?

I tried it without the additional washer and I did not get what I thought was enough bushing compression before the nut bottomed on the shaft. I put the additional washer in.

Can you shoot pics of what you've got? That might make it easier to explain.

I'm assuming you're trying to figure out the stud end of the shocks? From previous experience on other rigs, there should be a locator washer that has a sort of step in it. This step fits inside the hole in the body. You'll notice that the hole in the body is much larger than the stud. Therefore the locator washer's step is needed to locate the whole assembly in the hole.

Did that make any sense?

Edit: Looks like dan beat me to the punch

Ary

cruiserdan said:
I tried it without the additional washer and I did not get what I thought was enough bushing compression before the nut bottomed on the shaft. I put the additional washer in.

you tightened the nut all the way then?

how did you decide there was not enough compression?

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Can you shoot pics of what you've got? That might make it easier to explain.

I'm assuming you're trying to figure out the stud end of the shocks? From previous experience on other rigs, there should be a locator washer that has a sort of step in it. This step fits inside the hole in the body. You'll notice that the hole in the body is much larger than the stud. Therefore the locator washer's step is needed to locate the whole assembly in the hole.

Did that make any sense?

Ary

yes, but the question is: 1 or 2 locators? and if 1 on what side?

Lanktank has it the way it needs to be. I have also used two washers on the bottom to create more compression in the past. I beleive that the threaded section has changed length and no longer needs the second washer. The extra washer in the old kits was so the kit could be also used for another vechicle, thus saving something for ARB. Now it is specfic for the vechicle. later robbie

e9999 said:
you tightened the nut all the way then?

how did you decide there was not enough compression?

Yes, all the way. When it was assembled without the extra washer I could grab the shock body and easily twist it with my hand.

OK. so Rick and Robbie, you are saying not to follow either one of the OME instructions, then? Odd... How did you decide to do this instead?

these are older shocks, manufactured in 97 I believe, if that makes any difference.

I don't know which of the instructions is most recent but probably the "095" one if the number means anything, and that's the only one locator on the outside.

In the past they supplied 2 locator and 2 regular washers. Sometimes the lips on the locator washers would touch each other and the shock would be loose onthe mount, even with the nut run on all the way and the bushings compressed.

sleeoffroad said:
In the past they supplied 2 locator and 2 regular washers. Sometimes the lips on the locator washers would touch each other and the shock would be loose onthe mount, even with the nut run on all the way and the bushings compressed.

ah, good point, that would not be good!

well, I had to decide something.

So, I decided to follow Rick, Robbie and Christo's advices and put on only one locator on the inside. I can't really see a major difference between one on the inside and one on the outside as far as holding the shock in place, but the inside has a couple of advantages: one is that it's easier to add the locator on the outside in case it's necessary, cuz you don't have to remove the shock; and second, since the shocks are pressurized, there will always be more pressure on an inside locator than on an outside one, I am guessing, so I figured an inside one would protect better the bushing.

So far so good, but then when I put it all together I found that the upper part of the shock was spinning pretty easily with only one locator. So I added the second one and that tightened things up nicely, a la Dan. I did check for lip contact per Christo and it seemed fine. I will go back and check them all after having driven the thing a bit and see if I have to modify it again.

So there you go. FWIW. Dang, all these different instructions....

I must say that it is terrific to put out a call for assistance in real time and get replies wihtin minutes by very knowledgeable folks. What a great place!

thanks all

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom