real time help on rear axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i'm all the way down to removing the damn screws holding the bearings lock thingy in place and cannot get the screws out. I'm starting to round the inside of the screws. I do not have an impact screw driver.

Any help on how to get them out? I do not want to strip them.

here is the screw i speak of...little bastid!
screw (Small).jpg

Sure you're using the right size screw driver... can make all the difference. If so, try tapping the screw driver handle with a hammer to snugly seat the the head in the screw and try some more. PbBlaster too. I don't recall these screws being particularly hard to remove.

:beer:
Rookie2

Stop and get an impact screw driver.

Go to Sears/Harbor Freight/whereever and get an impact driver. In the rear end I helped with, we had the same problem. I think the one from harbor freight was under $10 and the one from sears is under $30. The harbor frieght one worked like a charm and had them all off in less than 10 minutes.

When reassembling the wheel nut, be sure it is clean, no burrs or shavings on the nut or on the axle housing. Do a search for rear axle and Buckru and you will know why.

Ross

I can't get a impact screw driver....my only vehicle is pictured without wheels/axle ect...

besides, how much is a damn impact screw driver just to get 4 screws out? :)

I must rant that this is absolutely the stupidest thing to have a soft brass screw in this applicatioin. So if i need to get into my rear axle on the trail i need an impact screw driver? :( crazy....

i'll borrow my roommates tacoma and head to sears i guess.... damn i'm pissed!!!

Buy a bike while you're there ;). Get new screws.

You *shouldn't* need one to get them out, but if you are starting to round the head, then something is causing bind or the screw is just stubborn. Everyone should have an impact drive anyways...they are cheap and can save a WHOLE ton of time and frustration.

ok, can someone post a link of what an impact screwdriver is? Is it air powered, battery powered, what?

i don't think this rear axle has ever been opened.

HF set

You need a screwdriver that will fit properly.

Hammer powered. Release a little frustration while you get the job done.

Actually, start with medium hits with the hammer, you'll be suprised at how easy it will work, and happy to have the tool on later jobs.

-Spike

concretejungle said:
So if i need to get into my rear axle on the trail i need an impact screw driver? :( crazy....

Yes. I carry one in my trail box. I would not be without it.

Oh, mine's a Snap-on you cheap bastards................:flipoff2:

just got a craftsman....$29.99.

I'll keep yall' posted :)

impact screw driver was the ticket.....it's a must have on this project.

From denial to a true believer in 5 posts..........:hillbilly:

yep, you got that right...

OK, new question. During reassembly, why will the two screws not go all the way in? They are halfway in and will not go in any further?

IIRC, they're supposed to line up with holes in the inner ring.

-Spike

spike, that's what i was figuring. But now that i have the preload set, i guess i should loosen it just enough to line the screws up and then be done with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom