REAL TIME HELP NEEDED. PAGE, AZ/LAKE POWELL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alternator died...none seemto be available locally...anybody have one that you pulled out for an aftermarket higher amp model? Or know a cruiser shop nearby that may have one? Any other ideas? Got dual batteries getting charged...how far has anyone driven on batteries?

Alternator died...none seemto be available locally...anybody have one that you pulled out for an aftermarket higher amp model? Or know a cruiser shop nearby that may have one? Any other ideas? Got dual batteries getting charged...how far has anyone driven on batteries?
You can't find one at an oreillys or something? Even within a 30 mile radius?

I only made it about 15 miles when mine died (battery fully charged), but that was a single battery and it was night time so had to run my headlights.

Do you know if brushes have ever been replaced? Possible a shop has a brush kit.

I've made it around 15 miles (around 20 minutes) on a group 24 batt that was relatively new. A 31 will probably get you an extra 5-10 miles.

Because you're in the lake Powell area, and you don't have to worry about the alternator charging - you could certainly find a deep cycle batt and try running it. You will get a LOT more runtime.

My ski boat ran for 30-35 minutes on a group 27 deep cycle. The motor is a GM 350 small block V8 with the thunderbolt ignition which is fairly power hungry. My alternator runs on a separate drive belt from the crank, and the tension bolt slipped and the belt popped off. Still was holding above 10.5v but at that point I was noticing the motor stumble occasionally.

Last edited:
You can't find one at an oreillys or something? Even within a 30 mile radius?
Phoenix is closest Napa one, 288 miles. Can get here Tuesday. OReilley has one in St George 133 miles...closed.
Possibly can get that one sent here. Too far on batteries.

Do you know if brushes have ever been replaced? Possible a shop has a brush kit.

I've made it around 15 miles (around 20 minutes) on a group 24 batt that was relatively new. A 31 will probably get you an extra 5-10 miles.

Because you're in the lake Powell area, and you don't have to worry about the alternator charging - you could certainly find a deep cycle batt and try running it. You will get a LOT more runtime.

My ski boat ran for 30-35 minutes on a group 27 deep cycle. The motor is a GM 350 small block V8 with the thunderbolt ignition which is fairly power hungry. My alternator runs on a separate drive belt from the crank, and the tension bolt slipped and the belt popped off. Still was holding above 10.5v but at that point I was noticing the motor stumble occasionally.
Gonna stay in Page...in the morning will try to find a shop to replace brushes if possible...if there is one.

This just happened literally the same thing last weekend. We ended up whacking the alternator with a hammer and jack handle. It started working again 3 hours back home. Worth a shot.

Replace them alternators folks as Prevantive maintenance, too many threads like these all the time. OEM reman costs $130-150, even if you have to pay for install, this is such great piece of mind.

Replace them alternators folks as Prevantive maintenance, too many threads like these all the time. OEM reman costs $130-150, even if you have to pay for install, this is such great piece of mind.
Or, at least carry the spare parts like brushes, regulator, bearings, and diode plate to repair them....
Parts dont take up much space in the truck.

Or, at least carry the spare parts like brushes, regulator, bearings, and diode plate to repair them....
Parts dont take up much space in the truck.
Yup 👍🏽 That’s what I do.

I've had this happen. Twice!

The recent time I was in a similar boat. I charged up two group 31's and base a run for it. It was a harrowing drive, but with all power things off and as little braking as I could possibly do, we made it a few hundred miles home. The alternator started working again (slightly) part way home and I never even needed that second battery.

With two group 31's you should be able to get quite a ways. At least to flagstaff. I'd say. Which direction is home?

I've had this happen. Twice!

The recent time I was in a similar boat. I charged up two group 31's and base a run for it. It was a harrowing drive, but with all power things off and as little braking as I could possibly do, we made it a few hundred miles home. The alternator started working again (slightly) part way home and I never even needed that second battery.

With two group 31's you should be able to get quite a ways. At least to flagstaff. I'd say. Which direction is home?
Syracuse Utah...about 30 min N of Salt Lake. Thinking of heading toward St George...Napa has one. That's 155 miles. Two batteries, about 165ah total...thinking about strapping my solar panel on my hood for a bonus...haha. Anyone have an available garage/shop in th St George area?

Must be the weekend. My Lexus alternator died as I was getting off the freeway exit Friday night. Nobody has a replacement and I'm supposed to be back in Boise tomorrow for work.

I DID have a whole spare alternator in my trunk... but it has the wrong rectifier on it and the positive cable won't bolt up.

Syracuse Utah...about 30 min N of Salt Lake. Thinking of heading toward St George...Napa has one. That's 155 miles. Two batteries, about 165ah total...thinking about strapping my solar panel on my hood for a bonus...haha. Anyone have an available garage/shop in th St George area?

Solar sounds like a very good idea (on roof maybe?). Solar is my new alternator failure mitigation plan. With all accessories off and a 100W solar panel I think you'd double or triple how far you could go (I'm guessing the engine draws something like 200-300W to cruise). A spare alternator in the truck is probably the most foolproof plan, but what's the fun in that?!

Need to replace my dead alternator...and the sun in blazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom