Real Time help Needed! Glow Plug tip in Cylinder Head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

ATTN MODS: posting it in 70 series and chat just to get help. will remove after resolution. Thanks.

While removing the 1st glow plug onmy 2LTE prado. This happened. :frown:

How do i get this sucker out? my cell is 780-298-6448 in case somebody wants to call me. Please Help!

ATTN MODS: posting it in 70 series and chat just to get help. will remove after resolution. Thanks.

pics attached.
101_2766.jpg
101_2765.jpg
101_2762.jpg

Is it loose in there? Or is there still threading holding it in?

the threaded part is all out. in the 2nd pic. just the element, and the internal metal that attached the glow element to the plug is visible. so just the tip is stuck.
I have soaked it in liquid wrench and WD-40, and tried it with hobby pliers, no wiggle what so ever.
The othr three came out fine. 2 were shot i.e. no continuity.
This one showed continuity in the block, but is broken. arghhh!!!

Just a long shot idea.... maybe you could blow it out with some compressed air from the exhaust side???

Could be brave and just spin the starter too, you'll get at least 400psi behind it :D

I've got a stuck glow out that way....launched the little sucker, never did find it...

but yeah, you'd want to be DAMN sure no little bits have already dropped inside....

yeah, scary as it is this has worked for me on a few cars. one time the tip actually got bigger and stuck in a prechamber full of soot, and another was cross threaded in then spun when i tried to remove it. both times i've had the engine running and have worked the stuck glow plug back and forth with a long tool to force it out. watch out if it flies.
alternately, you could take the head off.:(

hit the start a couple times and it will come out.
if it does fall inside it will be crushed into powder so no worries there.

ok guys, i undid the injector and poked around the hole, no go. could not get a feel for anything.
IT has to be done from the glow plug hole.
I put everything back and started the truck up. warmed it up and went for a drive around the block.
got engine RPM untill 3000 RPM, still not dislodged.
I think i am going to try to tap the remaining stub and try screwing it out, and use the injector hole to vacuum any small parts. will try that tomorrow after work.
Thanks guys for all the tips.

a ballsy repair.. but you are in need of a ballsy solution..

Remember Operation..

Insulate the walls if you can with a plastic sheet or something..

place an 1/8 arc rod down there.. ( note the welder is still off right now !! )

attach the rod to the welding clamp.. and the ground..

go over the the unit.. and turn it on then off very quickly..

and weld the rod to it.. then pull with all your might..

crazy times call for crazy solutions..

Brake fluid is a great carbon breaker..
Might take a few soaks..

VT

Start the engine, let it idle. Get in there with some pliers and poke, wiggle, shake... it'll come out. Make sure your eye is not inline with it when it does ::pHFFOOOOM!!!::

hey Guys, Sorry i donot have access to a welder.

The glow and imjector holes on this this engine are quite small. the regular nose pliers wont do the job.
You have to use hobby sizes tweezers to get inside and they are not grippy enough. they are about 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter.
I did fill the hole with Liquid Wrench and Wd40 the whole night, and till this morning, the pool was still there, it has not drained much.
I am going to undo the injector again and
I am going to try tap or easy out first and if that does not work,
then
drill the plug from the smaller to bigger drill bits i have, i have a large set. and put my hose vac in the injector to suck any debris from the drilling.
lets hope it works OK.
Thanks guys.

How about some epoxy inside the outer shell? (The part that threads into the head.) Would the bond be strong enough to attach to the part that's stuck in the head and enable you to pull it out?

I dropped a bit of ceramic spark plug insulator on an old Heep in once. Sprayed a bit of carb cleaner in then started it, all came out. Rattled a bit but it was only a heep....

How about some epoxy inside the outer shell? (The part that threads into the head.) Would the bond be strong enough to attach to the part that's stuck in the head and enable you to pull it out?

Good one. At the least it should be strong enough to get a rod on it and give you some wiggle power.

Prolly have to flush with acetone to clear the penetrating oil tho.

Hey Guys,
Attached are some pics of the injector hole. The empty sheel of the glow plug , i used it as a guide for the tap so as not to mess up the threads.

I tried moving the damn thing but no go. Right now, i have the engine at TDC 1st cylinder and have filled the plug and injector holw with WD40, hopefully that should help loosed some gunk.

Does the injector and glow plug share the same cavity, i.e. there is some movement space there. How far is the tip of the glow plug from the start of precups. What if, i punch it through and try to use vacuum from the injector hole.
What i am thinking is to drill through the center of the glow plug, that could weaken the plug.
I tried twisting the element from the non working glow pug and they are metallic and very strong. I am not sure how it is going to become powder as crushers has suggested. Is the inside ceramic and outside jacket is metallic.

sigh..... why is this so damn difficult.
101_2768.jpg
101_2770.jpg
101_2771.jpg

The injector and glow plug both protrude unto the pocket that is created by the cavity that the pre-cup sits in.

There is not much room in there!

An extractor as shown in the 70 series section - that uses a tap - is the correct way to do it.

Carefully drilling out the wall of the remnant will probably also yield results as you have suggested. I suspect that the glow plug tip has expanded due to overheating of the tip (multiple glow cycles).

~john

Atlast!!!

Congrats Guys,
Thanks for all your advice and help.
I Borrowed a longer hard steel bit from my neighbiur, a bit smaller that 3/16".
Drilled a bit, and used a 3 inch green decking screw.
I used the glow plug shell as a guide, so as not to damage the threads.
used two smaller washers to help push the screw out when unscrewing the glow plug shell using long 12mm socket,
I vacuumed and wiped the hole.
The plug before screwing was still functioning according to the continuity test, the tips or the body has not blown totally, it was just carbon.

New glow plugs are in, truck starts and sounds as before.

Thanks again to everyone on the board, you guys saved my life. :cheers:

attached are pics of the sucker.
101_2776.jpg
101_2772.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom