REAL TIME HELP: Is it ok to mix power steering fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

My fluid level is a little low and power steering is making a whining sound when turning the wheel. I have some Valvoline power fluid in the shed, same colour as the one that is in there, but the cap says to use Dexron 3 and the Valvoline bottle does not indicated what it is. Can I mix these fluids?

Thank you.

In a pinch you probably could, but I think it makes the system make more noise and you would end up changing out all the fluid in the end.

What the PS wants is auto transmission fluid if you have some around.

Thanks mate. I don't have any with me but will pick some up tomorrow morning. Is pretty well any auto trans fluid okay to mix in my PS pump?

Thanks again.

I think any "universal" Dex 3 or 4 would be fine. Before I rebuilt my PS pump, I had mixed in several glugs of Amsoil into whatever was already there with no ill effects.

I think any "universal" Dex 3 or 4 would be fine. Before I rebuilt my PS pump, I had mixed in several glugs of Amsoil into whatever was already there with no ill effects.

X2 any Dex 3 or better will work

When I bought 80, PO told me that PS system was start leaking, so he handle me extra 2 bottle of Valvoline or some kind no name brand regular clear fluid when I left there. Of cause it was not recommended in SM, but I refill little twice on the way got home it was alright, I had to drive about 2 weeks more till I rebuild whole PS system.

I recommend drain and flush all, and refill with dex 3 or 4 again.

UPDATE* I spoke to my mate interstate, he works for Porsche as a mechanic and he said. Just put the Valvoline in, it's all the same stuff.

I put the Valvoline in, albeit a little too much and had to drain it to the F when cold mark and the noise is gone.
I also forgot to check if my wheelas were straight when checking the fluid so will recheck again tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom