Real time help - Idler pulley alternatives to Toyota? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm in Michigan getting our daughter's 97 ready for her to move to Texas. I have a pile of parts I sent here over the last weeks, but now that I'm here the belt idler pulley is squeaking. Toyota dealer has none and searched and nearest is Georgia or something. It's the upper one that the twin belts run across near the alternator, not the single lower one on the A/C belt.

The Toyota parts guy was kind enough to give me the NAPA and AutoZone numbers and he's able to look at their inventory as well with no dice. So, looking for anybody's thoughts on this. Has anyone had luck peeling back the rubber seal on the bearing and greasing it? I may try that. FYI, we are heading to Lampasas, TX from Holland, MI in a few days if anyone along the way has one. I'll be there in Lampasas and able to install one if I find one as it looks to be a 20 minute install. Thanks in advance. Heading back out to the car to keep checking it over. Currently in Hillsdale, MI and heading for Holland, MI in about 3 hours to tear into the Cruiser at my brothers.

Regards,
Doug

Needed?

The bearing can be replaced and is supposedly easy to find. Or, as said above, run without it.

As you know, many people run without it.
If you really want it fixed for your daughter before you leave and can't source a replacement, some members here have drilled out the rivets to separate the assembly and replaced the internal bearing. A quick search found this post, but I remember other posts as well:

If a replacement isn't available before your intended departure, ditch it. Better to do that than have it go out on you while driving. IMHO

When I bought my 97 model a couple of years ago it had an aftermarket
pulley (see photos) that was a different design, a bit wider (2-3/4") than the OEM part. It worked OK, just pushed on the belts a little bit more. Might be able to match it up at a parts store?

Alternator idler pulley bolt collar.jpg

Alternator Idler pulley (2).jpg

The Gates # 36788 (see link below) appears identical to the Toyota part, RockAuto shows it's in stock, maybe they could ship it out quickly?

The bearing on the Toyota alternator belt idler pulley cannot be replaced, the halves of the pulley are riveted in place trapping the bearing between
them.

Last edited:
So, I'm in Michigan getting our daughter's 97 ready for her to move to Texas. I have a pile of parts I sent here over the last weeks, but now that I'm here the belt idler pulley is squeaking. Toyota dealer has none and searched and nearest is Georgia or something. It's the upper one that the twin belts run across near the alternator, not the single lower one on the A/C belt.

The Toyota parts guy was kind enough to give me the NAPA and AutoZone numbers and he's able to look at their inventory as well with no dice. So, looking for anybody's thoughts on this. Has anyone had luck peeling back the rubber seal on the bearing and greasing it? I may try that. FYI, we are heading to Lampasas, TX from Holland, MI in a few days if anyone along the way has one. I'll be there in Lampasas and able to install one if I find one as it looks to be a 20 minute install. Thanks in advance. Heading back out to the car to keep checking it over. Currently in Hillsdale, MI and heading for Holland, MI in about 3 hours to tear into the Cruiser at my brothers.

Regards,
Doug

Doug,

I've got one for you. Has a perfect bearing. Just taking up room in my shop.

It's fully assembled, ready to bolt on. 2 minute job.

PM/Text me an address and I'll get it sent off Tuesday a.m.

If going to Lampasas, should be there in a couple of days....since I am in State.

IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG

Last edited:
Run without it. My truck didn't have one when I got it. I drove it for 25K miles before installing one.

What's this about some reporting oil leaking out when they drive without the bolt in? Mine did not leak and I would not expect it to be drilled into the oil galleries? others agree? I don't have/can't make a spacer and don't want the bolt bottomed out in the hole, or possibly wiggling loose in 1500 mile drive next week.

What's this about some reporting oil leaking out when they drive without the bolt in? Mine did not leak and I would not expect it to be drilled into the oil galleries? others agree? I don't have/can't make a spacer and don't want the bolt bottomed out in the hole, or possibly wiggling loose in 1500 mile drive next week.
No, it's a blind hole

Mine didn't have a bolt or idler, so I didn't even know it needed on for the first 25-30K miles of ownership.

Doug, as mentioned above...it is a 'blind hole'. However it IS possible for oil to leak from the 'boss' in the Oil Pump Cover that the idler pulley bolt goes through IF the oil pump seal is leaking in that area.

As you know...the Idler Pulley Bolt goes through the boss on the Oil Pump Cover and then threads into the hole of the timing chain cover. The bolt thread is M10 x 1.25 (by 55mm long IIRC)

Some folks (without idler pulley) that have had leaks have used a shorter bolt and silicone to stop the leak. The OEM set up (Idler pulley) does provide clamping force against the Oil Pump Cover in that area (whether needed or not).

Idler bolt  hole.jpg
Boss.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom