Real Time Help! Fuel problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody. I am on my way to Chicago, Illinois. I left LA this morning and filled the LC up. Drove great until I got to Las Vegas. The truck will not accept any gas. The pump thinks the truck is full. However it is not. I took it to Desert Toyota in Las Vegas (as it was an emergency) and they stated that due to the corrosion (from salt, being a Chicago truck) the fuel line, charcoal canister as well as fuel filler assembly needs to be replaced (quoted $1,280). They did try to unclog it all, and it took them 20 minutes to fill it up (opposed to me trying for an hour, only getting about half a tank). I got to St. George, UT and I undid the gas cap. It flew off, fumes shot out, gas sprayed all over (my face included, no jokes please haha) and took about 25 minutes until no more fumes where coming out of the tank. I am assuming taking it to the dealer here in St George is the only option?

Alex

(2003 Toyota Land Cruiser)

Last edited by a moderator:
could you just pull the evap line off the canister and let it vent to atmosphere while you fill? this is just a guess, so don't take my word that it will work. i suppose there would be a bit of a fire hazard during the operation, but you're at a gas station after all... don't be burnin' any heaters! the canister is back by the fill port so I don't know how accessible it would be.

Copied from the thread link above ^

Update from 3rd Cruiser (Mud name)
It appears the problem has been solved. Here is what we did.

After some google searches we thought it could be a clogged vapor recovery hose that runs from the filler neck to the charcoal canister. My mechanic removed the hose at the canister an blew compressed air into it. It appeared to be glogged so air was blown in from filler neck and again from canister. Air flowed freely now.
At the gas pump there was a slight improvement.

Next I pulled out the Toyota repair manual and we ran all the tests to insure the charcoal canister was within specs. It passed all the tests Now what?

My mechanic decided to remove the charcoal canister an blow compressed air through all the ports on the canister. Re-installed the canister an headed to the gas station. For the first time in months I can fill up using the trigger hold down. Need to angle the handle towards the back of the truck.

On my third fill up and it is still filling ok. Beats a new charcoal canister at $400.00!

After some google searches we thought it could be a clogged vapor recovery hose that runs from the filler neck to the charcoal canister. My mechanic removed the hose at the canister an blew compressed air into it. It appeared to be glogged so air was blown in from filler neck and again from canister. Air flowed freely now.

Next I pulled out the Toyota repair manual and we ran all the tests to insure the charcoal canister was within specs. It passed all the tests Now what?

My mechanic decided to remove the charcoal canister an blow compressed air through all the ports on the canister. Re-installed the canister an headed to the gas station. For the first time in months I can fill up using the trigger hold down. Need to angle the handle towards the back of the truck.

On my third fill up and it is still filling ok. Beats a new charcoal canister at $400.00!

yep, blow all the lines out. Cheap "fix" before throw a ton of money at it.

On the older Land Cruisers they actually recommended blowing out the lines and canister if they start having issues if I remember correct... Good info to know and glad it worked out for you.

Please can anybody help identifying the location of this canister on a 2007 LX470?

I don’t see it by the motor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom