Real time help! Front axle broke and stuck in Bishop CA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang

it’s been a while since I visited the forum but it has been while since I used my 80. Last Thursday I took the old girl out to bishop for some camping and on the way there the front passenger caliper stuck and cooked the bearings. As the tow truck showed up and trying to position the 80 to be towed the knuckle studs sheeted. has it towed to Toyota dealer in bishop but they haven’t had the time to even look at it. At this rate it might be a week before they can fix it possible due to parts.

does anyone in LA or bishop California Area have a complete spare passenger knuckle assembly including the caliper and rotor That I can buy?

also anyone near bishop that got some space for me to work on it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
I have a spare axle in Elk Grove. Bit far from you at the moment. You can buy caliper from local parts store.

Hey gang

it’s been a while since I visited the forum but it has been while since I used my 80. Last Thursday I took the old girl out to bishop for some camping and on the way there the front passenger caliper stuck and cooked the bearings. As the tow truck showed up and trying to position the 80 to be towed the knuckle studs sheeted. has it towed to Toyota dealer in bishop but they haven’t had the time to even look at it. At this rate it might be a week before they can fix it possible due to parts.

does anyone in LA or bishop California Area have a complete spare passenger knuckle assembly including the caliper and rotor That I can buy?

also anyone near bishop that got some space for me to work on it?

Thanks in advance!!!
It's possible the caliper flexible hose has delaminated on the inside and the rubber flap turn into a one-way valve.

wow, that was quit the production. Thanks to a good friend we were able to swap the front axle on the side of the road. I'm pooped but at least finally can relax at home.

Got any good pics of this adventure?

Yes! Was about to upload it.

003A6C5B-AC7A-42B3-8A5B-56F1E3E17D6F.jpeg

4EC530F4-4BE2-4437-AE22-8B82B8789204.jpeg

2010CA9C-C95A-4FD1-9261-303AA488D5FF.jpeg

A06EC7EF-AFF3-42BD-9603-3CABBEC3D27B.jpeg

ECE6CB9A-4D27-4C47-946C-DC5DB2A5718F.jpeg

Whoa...that sucks man! Glad you're back in business!!

It is amazing you did that job on the side of the road. How do you walk with Qballs that big? :)

LOL! I had major help from a good friend who had experience swapping axles. No way I could of even come close doing the same job by myself.

LOL! I had major help from a good friend who had experience swapping axles. No way I could of even come close doing the same job by myself.
Why the whole housing and not just a shaft, spindle, rotor, seals and bearings for one side?

Why the whole housing and not just a shaft, spindle, rotor, seals and bearings for one side?

Not 100% sure if the other things are damaged and relatively deterministic time line to get back on the road. Plus don’t have all the possible parts, with the axle it’s pretty much bolt on and go. We finished the swap in just over 3 hours. Granted on the trail axle swap will be much harder.

If you have to be stuck, being stuck in Bishop is better than being stuck in Sacratomato. I’m saying that as a Sac native that grew up in south Oak Park.

Whoa Qball!...glad u got er back and running...crazy adventure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom