Real time help fan blade Broke in Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a fan blade broke off while driving through Utah. I’m currently at Green River. Called Toyota in St George they will have replacement fan for me tomorrow.

Am I good to drive the 4 hrs? Truck runs rough on start up but seems to be good once moving. Thoughts, ideas or am I calling AAA?

252 412 7172

Re: causing further damage: Running rough likely due to imbalanced pulley. Higher-than-idle RPMs will negate the imbalance eventually, but bearing/fanclutch damage may be an issue even if you can't feel it in the cab.

Re: cooling: Keep moving and the radiator will be cooled by the passing air. Utah is cold this time of year, I assume?

Remove the blade exactly opposite to the broken blade to balance the fan.

Why not remove the fan from the fan clutch and install a push type electrical fan in the transmission cooler? Then run two wires to the battery. Remove wires when you don't drive the truck. You should be good until summer 2018!

Currently waiting on a tow truck. Truck started acting up right outside Green River Utah. AAA is towing me 100 miles then some guy named Woody is helping me. New fan ordered and will be at Toyota dealership in St George tomorrow.
Gotta love the cruiser family.

Did you get it fixed and back on the road?

This is a easy one. Remove the fan. Done.
As long as you moving faster than 35mph the engine fan is not needed 90% of the time.

Cruiser is in good hands in St George, Utah. Just got to Cali via rental car, when type more tomorrow

Where in Utah is that shop again??? I need to borrow your rear bumper while you aren't using it.

;)

well our benevolent leader got it to my shop in St george . found it was missing a fan blade , leaking heater tees(brass) and the fan bracket was ready to pitch off the remaining fan assy . had to wait till 11 for the usless dealer to deliver the fan ,while i got busy and replaced the fan bracket . adam gave emotional support and ate tacos , Then the bad happened!! on the road test it made a horrible sound from the right ft wheel . put it back on the rack and found the c clip off the axle and the bearing destroyed , to the point the worst i have ever seen .the entire rh spindle/hub/axle. are now welded together (pics on Monday). 2 hrs with a air chisel and still will not budge . so out will come the plazma cutter . but the knuckle/spindle is wasted . so a order was placed for a entire assy , and a new axle shaft .. . any one out there got a whole rh side he can borrow . And on the wisdom of the crowd how did this happen . did the snap ring fall off and the axle slide back and spin in the spindle and the friction failed the bearings ? . the snap ring was off when the cap came off .

well our benevolent leader got it to my shop in St george . found it was missing a fan blade , leaking heater tees(brass) and the fan bracket was ready to pitch off the remaining fan assy . had to wait till 11 for the usless dealer to deliver the fan ,while i got busy and replaced the fan bracket . adam gave emotional support and ate tacos , Then the bad happened!! on the road test it made a horrible sound from the right ft wheel . put it back on the rack and found the c clip off the axle and the bearing destroyed , to the point the worst i have ever seen .the entire rh spindle/hub/axle. are now welded together (pics on Monday). 2 hrs with a air chisel and still will not budge . so out will come the plazma cutter . but the knuckle/spindle is wasted . so a order was placed for a entire assy , and a new axle shaft .. . any one out there got a whole rh side he can borrow . And on the wisdom of the crowd how did this happen . did the snap ring fall off and the axle slide back and spin in the spindle and the friction failed the bearings ? . the snap ring was off when the cap came off .

Here's my guess:

Bearing failed first. This can produce an enormous amount of heat. The heat caused the relatively small snap ring to fail. With the snap ring gone and the bearing failed you could have all kinds of nasty movement in that assembly and you could, theoretically at least, weld the spindle/hub/axle together at least enough to make it near impossible to slide apart.

I've had a wheel bearing on my old MR2 fail and ruin the spindle/hub due to the heat. A shop was able to press out the old bearing, but it had ruined the press fit surface in the spindle. It failed with the previous owner and I inherited the mess. It made an awful, awful, awful sound. I think you'd have to drive on it like that for a while to generate the needed heat.

Bad bearings in 100 could generate some incredible heat.

seeing some of the rounded non square grooves on some of the half shafts on mud I completely believe that they can be so neglected, even by real mechanics, that this would happen. That bill for parts alone ought to make everyone go out and pull on their threaded end and install the thickest ring possible.

It is a full floating hub, so the clip coming off on its own shouldn't cause this damage. The bearing must of gone first. Bad bearing installs is this biggest killer I have come across, some people just don't know how to tighten them correctly or just keep reusing the locking washer. Bad luck though.

20171210_143143.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom