real time help, changing BEB's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chapel gate

GOLD Star
Threads
just finished replacing my Beb's, replaced them with standard size 4 quality japanese bearings from a well known uk supplier. they only do the one size, i asked him if this is a problem, "in over ten years of supplying em ive never had any back" but on inspection of my old bearings (which were fine....) i have number 4's, 5's and 3's.. i need the motor for tomorrow, i know i shouldnt but the mood im in at the moment i just feel like putting it all back together and seeing how it goes.

any thoughts?

just finished replacing my Beb's, replaced them with standard size 4 quality japanese bearings from a well known uk supplier. they only do the one size, i asked him if this is a problem, "in over ten years of supplying em ive never had any back" but on inspection of my old bearings (which were fine....) i have number 4's, 5's and 3's.. i need the motor for tomorrow, i know i shouldnt but the mood im in at the moment i just feel like putting it all back together and seeing how it goes.

any thoughts?

Toyota was very precision with the original bearing fit, most aftermarket is one size. I have never had/seen a problem with it, but most of my experience is with gasers.

everything I've read indicates that 1 size fits all on the replacements. plastigage it if you are worried.

just finished, 11pm here...

yes milners.

fired her up and seems ok, not got her up to temp but oil pressure seems a little lower, will see tomorrow.

thanks for the reasurance.

shower time!

How did your old ones look like?
Can you post pics?

Cheers,

LandCrusher80

Here usually after you got your BEB's you send 'em to the machining shop and they " adjust " 'em for you to fit your engine ..

landcrusher, imo they were fine, havnt got time at the moment but ill take/post some pics over the weekend. i was starting to hear a slight rattle at low revs under load thats what made me decide to change them.

tapage, ive not heard of the bearings being "adjusted", here toyota tell you to drop the sump and tell them what the bearing numbers are, so that they can provide the exact size bearings. athough ive never seen different sized bearings on the same crankshaft before. more to the point neither has my father, a retired diesel mechanic...

or in my case buy aftermarket bearings which are one size.

Here usually after you got your BEB's you send 'em to the machining shop and they " adjust " 'em for you to fit your engine ..

I have machined/built tons of motors and never "adjusted" a bearing? To get proper bearing fit we ether polished crank journals or honed the rods, but even that isn't aerospace precision. The +/- bearing thing that Toyota does is close to "silly precision" for automotive work.:D

I have machined/built tons of motors and never "adjusted" a bearing? To get proper bearing fit we ether polished crank journals or honed the rods, but even that isn't aerospace precision. The +/- bearing thing that Toyota does is close to "silly precision" for automotive work.:D

I'm not sure how to explain .. hen you got the BEBs they come with " marks " corss marks on 'em ..

Here are mines ( old ) when I do the job last year ..

main.php

main.php

main.php

ive had her from 89000 miles. i dont use any exotic oils just whats recomended from the book at my local motor factor. 15-40 semi synthetic, and i change it every 5000 miles.

those look almost new. nice.

yes they do dont they. i allmost wanted them to be pitted and worn just so i hadnt wasted my time/money, but i suppose its nice to know alls in order, and a testement to the 4.2 diesel.

lol chapel gate- i did mine on friday- a 140k 1HD-T- like you they were all in really good condition apart from a single one that had a small flake removed.

like you i used Milner Bearings (should have gone ACL but by the time i worked that out i had already spent the money with milner), bu t the oil pressure has gone up which is nice (although i am using a 15w-40 semi, rather than my usual 10w-40 synth)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom