real time help!!!! center diff lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

please explain does this work the same as if the front and rear having lockers, or what is gained by adding lockers. i have an almost stock 97 fj80, thanks

All 91-97 FJ80s and FZJ80s have the center differential lock. It is entirely separate from the optional front and rear factory differential locks.

This lock is used in off-road situations because 80s have an open center differential that is necessary because of the full time four wheel drive. It just locks up the transfer case's differential so that it will function the same way as one on a part-time 4x4. The CDL is activated by switching into low range, unless you have added a switch to allow you to select it while in high range. There is a 7-pin modification that disables this 4-low automatic engagement.

See my sig line for info on the 7-pin and the CDL.

The front and rear diff locks have a circular switch to the left of the steering column.

I'm curious, why the plea for real-time help? Is there something more specific that someone can help you with?

The center diff lock works by locking the center diff, vs. the left or the right one. It works when you press the button. It stops working when you unpress the button. The front and rear lockers work by twisting the dial, and they unwork by untwisting the dial. The newbie guide explains all this.

Q:The newbie guide explains all this.

well how about a link, newbie!

i'm asking this for a friend and i myself dont get the whole center diff lock.
i've wheeled with him in the mud and have noticed that both his front wheels spinning at the same time.

so without a locker in the front and no diff lock switch to activate lockers.

how are both front tires spinning if there is no locker up front(unless the PO has had one installed)??

BTW i found it in FAQ :D

Not magic.

It is possible that a P.O. had a limited slip diff. put in, or one of the automatic "lockers". But even an "open" diff. has the ability to provide power to both sides of an axle under ideal conditions. Generally, the power will "bias" to one side though.

2badfjs said:
Q:
so without a locker in the front and no diff lock switch to activate lockers.

how are both front tires spinning if there is no locker up front(unless the PO has had one installed)??

BTW i found it in FAQ :D

You don't have an 80!

?

explain please

another tech challenged question I have a 91 with a cdl switch .. When I shift to N then engage my cdl put it back in drive and go have i or have i not engaged my transfer case ?? If not the what gear do i need to be in the engage the transfer case ... Do I need to do the 7 pin mod to have the transfer case engaged in d or 3 period

thanks guys

Jim. In the 80 series when you put the Tcase the center diff (Tcase locks to lock the front and rear axles together (Not front and rear diffs). Essentially the drive shafts. The full time 4WD has a mechanism that allows it to slip between the front and rear shafts when not engaged.

The CDL switch is for use when the Tcase is in high and you want to lock the front and rear driveshafts together. For example, forrest roads, or rain/snow conditions when you don't want the tcase in lo.

The FAQ is one of the stickey threads at the top titled FAQ for 80/LX450 series

Oh, in the FAQ, in the general section is a thread titled "diffs for dummies" it might explain better.

Doc said:
You don't have an 80!

?

well, in on saturday i had two ;p

the 80 in Q is my nieghbor jeremy, i'm trying to get him more involved here on mud.
great guy, newbie/inexperienced wheeler, but is very willing to go out and try.

jeremy's 97'80 has been my mock up rig for benos 80,(where is that guy anyway?)(romer? sorry i missed dinner tonight, i thought i might be able to make it.) to much work going on and trying to get ready for the ralley.:eek:

:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom