Real time help...CDL install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my dash apart, radio out of the way etc...

Instructions on slee's site say the terminal for the CDL switch ('97 model) is white and has a male jumper. Well I found that BUT it is not the same configuration as the switch I have.

There is a gray terminal (no foam, no jumper) AND it is the exact configuration as the switch. I see no other terminals that it could be.

So......do I have the wrong switch (unlikely...got it from C-Dan) or is the gray terminal the correct one.

No guessing here guys...only answer if you know for certain.

Thanks.......flint.

The white terminal, foam and jumper are to be removed before you install the CDL switch. It sounds like on your truck this has been removed, fell off or was never installed.

Plug it in and rock and roll!

I just did my CDL switch about a month ago!

Last edited:
Fochdog said:
The white terminal, foam and jumper are to be removed before you install the CDL switch. It sounds like on your truck this has been removed, fell off or was never installed.

Gray is the correct color for the terminal you plug the CDL switch into.

Plug it in and rock and roll!

I just did my CDL switch about a month ago!

The white terminal has foam on it, a yellow jumper, and is in roughly the right place (per slee's instructions)...no way its the same configuration as the switch I have.

I thought I read somewhere that the gray one might be an aftermarket radio connection. It is the proper configuration though.

Are you saying remove the jumper from the white one and plug the CDL into the gray one?

This doesn't jive with anything I have read about the installation....just checking you understand.

# above barcode on package 84725-60040.

Are there different switches for 93-97's?

The complete white piece (with foam and jumper wire) should be removed.

Then you plug the CDL switch in it's place. Make sure you connect it through the trim panel so you can reinstall everything correctly.

Nevermind!

Just discovered the whole damn end (terminal is two pieces) comes off. I ran back out there about the time you posted.

Jesus........someone rewrite those instructions so that even engineers (we're detailed people) will "get the drift".

How goofy does that make me feel!

Thanks.........back to work. (two piece connector! OMG........)

He can make a BEAUTIFUL flint in under an hour but plastic defeats him.........:D

Flint, hope you found the right connector. Gray is indeed the WRONG one. The connector that plugs into the switch is white.

Rich said:
Flint, hope you found the right connector. Gray is indeed the WRONG one. The connector that plugs into the switch is white.

Yup, thanks guys! I got to looking at the gray one and it clearly is a part of the radio "bundle" so even though it would plug in there...it wouldn't operate what I want operated.

You can't (or I couldn't) tell that the white connector is two pieces until you remove the foam. After that....it all becomes apparent, and you get to experience that "sheepish" feeling. Then you have to come back here and "fess up" so everyone can stop posting.

And Dan is right, the flint is no problem for me....its the plastic I find perplexing.

The mod. is complete (along with pin 7) so its on to the next thing.

Thanks again all!

Last edited:
parabola said:
I'm doing this tomorrow morning. Thanks for preemptively making this mistake so I could learn from it. :D

Consider location of the switch as well. Your choices are limited (unless you want to extend wires). Also, you may find (as I did) that the stamped metal dash has some very sharp edges (Japanese steel), and will definitely cut you if you're not careful when reaching in for or moving wires.

Good luck with yours.....its worth the effort.

If I was in Austin I would swing by Pflugerville and give you a (cut) hand.

Just so you don't feel bad, I'll tell you how dumb I am. When I installed my CDL, I read about the jumper and saw the jumper wire. I thought you had to remove that wire from the foam covered block and then plug the CDL into it's place. So, I go to work with the wire pick, trying to get the wire out of the connectors. Man, it was a pain working on it inside the truck with the limited length of the wire bundle, so I get smart and notice that I can disconnect the end cap with the wire from the entire harness. I take it off and move to the work bench. A bit later I've got the wire picked out and go to match up the terminal cap to the CDL connector. Hm - no match. This is weird, it's supposed to be a 1/2 banana job.

I go sit in the truck to contemplate what to do next, CDL switch in one hand and staring at the wiring harness in the truck. It took a minute for the light bulb to go off in my Cromagnon brain.

flintknapper said:
Consider location of the switch as well. Your choices are limited (unless you want to extend wires). Also, you may find (as I did) that the stamped metal dash has some very sharp edges (Japanese steel), and will definitely cut you if you're not careful when reaching in for or moving wires.

Good luck with yours.....its worth the effort.

If I was in Austin I would swing by Pflugerville and give you a (cut) hand.
Thanks. I finished it up and with your experience in mind It took only a few minutes. Still cut my hand though. :doh:

But Flint, did you readjust the flux capacitator? It won't work right if you don't :grinpimp:

Ross

GeoRoss said:
But Flint, did you readjust the flux capacitator? It won't work right if you don't :grinpimp:

Ross

Yeah, Yeah,.........go take some Imodium or something Ross.

I did do some readjusting to the alarm wiring in order to get it over to the left hand side. It comes from that direction already, but whoever installed the wiring harness was a "tape freak" and had it basically "mummified" right behind the radio. Took alot of cutting to get enough slack to move it.

flintknapper said:
Yeah, Yeah,.........go take some Imodium or something Ross.

I did do some readjusting to the alarm wiring in order to get it over to the left hand side. It comes from that direction already, but whoever installed the wiring harness was a "tape freak" and had it basically "mummified" right behind the radio. Took alot of cutting to get enough slack to move it.

Yes, I had to move my alarm to the bottom left and put the CDL switch on the top left. I'd prefer the alarm higher and more visable but I couldn't get the CDL harness down there...

My "alarm thing" is still in darkness behind the dash.

Do I need to bring that thing back out to the light of day?? I must admit, I don't know what it is for and must not care 'cause I haven't bothered to even look in the manual...

Tarbe, that is a glass breakage sensor and the armed indicator light. why not just take one of the blanks on the lower level?

Ok, it is now sitting to the left of the rear heater switch. Homeland security alert level back to green :)

Did my CDL switch today. Boy, did I screw up. I had a heck of a time getting the security switch out of the trim. Then, when I was pulling the plugs out of it to relocate it to the lower left position, I snapped the two wires in the harness end of the blue plug. :whoops: So I pulled the plug apart and carefully stripped the wires and re-crimped them into the contacts and re-inserted them into the plug. Then, without thinking, I plugged the switch in without re-routing the wire to the lower section of the dash opening! :eek: So, of course, when I pulled the plugs back out to fix that I snapped the wires again!! :doh: By this time the crimp ends of the plug leads were shot, so I sacrificed the CDL jumper plug wire and soldered half a length onto both of the plugs and used butt connectors to connect back up to the harness. :rolleyes: Oh, also, the security switch was loose in the new location and I snapped off one of the tabs trying to bend it back into place! :whoops: It seems to sit in there OK for now. The rear heater switch is loose, too. I was going to start in on the pin-7 mod, but I figured I'd better quit while I was ahead today. :frown:

Time to get out the hot glue gun, Chris.

I feel your pain....been there. I think we all have. Some days are better for watching TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom