Real Time: Frozen Brake Pistons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm changing the pads in my 80 right now. The front left pads came out easy, but I can't retract one of the pistons enough to get the new pad in. On the right side, I can't even get one of the pads out.

Is there anything that could be causing this other than frozen pistons? The bleed valves are open and there is hardly any fluid in the system as I just put in new brake lines as well.

I fear I may need to rebuild them, which means I'm gonna have to find a ride to work tomorrow (and probably for the rest of the week). :frown:

If no c-clamp then try some big channel locks to compress the piston.
Also, it sounds like you have one side that might be stronger in braking then the other. If that's the case, then a rebuild of the pistons (all eight) are in order. You can pick up a front brake caliper rebuild kit from Toyota or Autozone.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I think I'll do the rear too since they seem to be wearing pretty unevenly.

Pete483e483 said:
I think I'll do the rear too since they seem to be wearing pretty unevenly.

The rears are a different animal. Uneven wear can be as simple as a binding slide pin and it usually is. How exactly are you compressing the pistons? If it's jamming a large screw driver of similar into the caliper while it's still mounted and prying at it, then that really doesn't work and can damage the caliper as well.

I've got the rears off and was using a hammer handle per the FSM. I'm pretty sure that binding pins are the problem back there, though I think they are due for a rebuild too (nearing 150k w/MN rust). What is the best way to fix binding pins?

I had to wire brush my pins and then clean out the hole as well. To clean the hole I used a 3/8" drill bit in REVERSE with some solvent as well. When I got everything cleaned up the pins moved real easy. I then used some white lythium grease on the pins during final assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom