real time dumb 24/12 v converter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on the phone trying to order a 20 amp 24 to 12 volt converter...

I'm after a Samlex SDC23; 24 to 13.8 v unit..what is the difference? is 24/12 the same as 24/13.8?

Told you it was a dumb question : )

No, nothing like a dumb question!!

It's what it says a 24V to 12V converts 24 V to 12.0V, a 24/13.8 unit converts 24 V to 13.8 Volts.
But... in general they all deliver voltages around 13.5 Volts.
It's often just a matter of speaking.
If you want to pinpoint it one should say a max 28.8 V to max 14.4 Volts converter this because most '24V' vehicles in reality have 28.8 volts as max and 12V vehicles have 14.4 V max (or should ;) )

So your Samlex 24/13.8 is fine!

For what its worth, Samlex seems to be near the bottom of barrel in Cruiser customer satisfaction. I can't say why since I've never owned one. I have a Solar and a Sure power in one rig and another brand whose name escapes me in another. I like the Sure power best.

I went with it on the recommendation of an Ih8mudder...that and it's available locally...the distributor I've been dealing with has been good, so I'm sure if I have problems they'll help me out... I hope

w/o intentionally hijacking, Bruce, the "recommendation" may have been mine.

I own a SDC23. It came with the truck and I have had issues with it cutting out in extremely cold weather. I phoned Samlex, I said I was in a position to fix it if they would be so kind as to send me the circuit diagram. They were very helpful, sent circuit diagram, calibration instructions but my rig fell to pieces before I got a chance to repair it. (BTW, the issue was with the potentiometers regulating the max current and/or voltage output.)

As you correctly state, there are other converters out there. Samlex is one of many and I do recognise that they are less expensive than others I have seen. The "recommendation" from one Canadian to another was to take a look at Samlex's (Canadian = no import duties) offerings as an example, no affiliation on my part. We can discuss the merits this evening if you wish.

Mszekely, 13.8V output is just fine for almost all automotive electronics. They are typically specificed to run from anywhere between 9V (e.g. airbag control modules) to >>14V. The advantage of 13.8V is that you will be able to charge 12V batteries from that if you so desire.

If you wish to lower your risk, buy an expensive, better known brand. If you still wish to pursue a Samlex purchase, look at their refurbished SDC23's, they go for CAD 80 or so. Pretty good price for a 20A converter by my books. I also make assumption that any design issues with the SDC23 (old converter) have been long addressed.

Apologies if you feel you may have been misled. Not intentional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom