real time........does this look right for a recent axle job? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to track down some alignment issues and had play in one wheel so i pulled it off and re-torqued that side. Now I pulled off the other side and found more grease, which looks like ots starting to turn soupy...or is it just me.
Also there was lots more grease on and around the locking nuts on this wheel compared to the other side.

cool-breeze-albums-hub-picture5419-img-1156.jpg

cool-breeze-albums-hub-picture5420-img-1157.jpg

cool-breeze-albums-hub-picture5421-img-1158.jpg

You are seeing wheel bearing grease in the hub not the soupy moly birf mixture that everyone refers to being inside the knuckle. More grease in that hub does not mean anything has failed. I do not see a thrust washer in the pic with the preload nut and the lock nut.

the thrust washer is still on the hub, took it off after the pics. thanks for the clarification on the grease...im gonna put her back together and see how she drives.

CROSSING MY DAMN FINGERS!

are you saying you did a complete birf job?....reason I ask same problems with me and alignment issues the birf job fixed mine however...

I don't know if I would be content with how that grease looks. It doesn't look like grease that was recently packed. If your are positive that it was recently packed I would be concerned about the axle seal.

I agree. Looks soupy to me.

f me...so which seal would need attention?

The grease on the cardboard looks fine. If it wouldn't hold its shape or dripped off the cardboard, then you might have a leaking seal. The thing is, a little oil in the birf won't hurt. A little grease in the diff won't hurt. A major seal failure makes for a gloppy mess but its not like you're mixing coolant with engine oil.

The grease on the cardboard looks fine. If it wouldn't hold its shape or dripped off the cardboard, then you might have a leaking seal. The thing is, a little oil in the birf won't hurt. A little grease in the diff won't hurt. A major seal failure makes for a gloppy mess but its not like you're mixing coolant with engine oil.

Except for the fact that the axle was rebuilt very recently. If that is new bearing grease then it was contaminated quickly rather than slowly over time which would indicate that dripping bearing grease could be right around the corner.

I agree that if you need to gather some parts and plan a time to do the work you could buckle it back up for awhile, but I would want to get it cleaned up for the years ahead.

How does the other side look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom