Real time Birfield question...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
I took off my front hub to put on new rotors and was looking at the birfield shaft coming out of the axle housing.

When you grabe the birfield and pull it back and forth, there is about 1/4" play back and forth. Kinda makes a clanking sound when you pull it back and forth.

Is this normal??

tarbe said:

My kinda answer right there. Everything you need to know in one word or less. Then some maggot comes along and gets chatty about it right after, without really adding anything to the thread. Don'cha just hate that? :D

-Spike

Yes, it is normal.

Sometimes when you rebuild your axle (X4 for me), you cannot get it out enough to put the snap ring on it. You screw in a IIRC 12mm bolt into the end of the axle, pull it out the 1/4" and put the snap ring on.

Then you are ready to rock and roll.

-o-

Last edited:
Is it OK to run without the snap ring and isn't there more back and forth play than with the ring? It seems to me that running without it would cause pre-mature wear and possible breakage down the road.

What do you think?

Great responses, Tarbe! LOL :cheers:

your birf has this happy little place inside the knuckle where it likes to operate. Driving w/o the snap ring allows it to walk in towards danger. First thing that comes to mind is the bell could hit the ABS Sensor... though not on a 93 though huh. I still wouldn't try it though, put the snap ring back on.

nakman said:
Great responses, Tarbe! LOL :cheers:

your birf has this happy little place inside the knuckle where it likes to operate. Driving w/o the snap ring allows it to walk in towards danger. First thing that comes to mind is the bell could hit the ABS Sensor... though not on a 93 though huh. I still wouldn't try it though, put the snap ring back on.

That's what I figured, but I know some people that don't run them on the mini axles and they say it's OK. I think it's prolly the same as 80 axles though and I don't see why anyone would want to take the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom