Real Time Birf Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any front end experts on today!

For some reason I decided that the birfs needed a little fresh grease today and I pulled off the plate on top of the housing. Well i think that was a big mistake as I soon noticed the grease plug just below it and the bearing attached to the plate:whoops:.

I replaced the plate/bearing support and torqued to specs (71 pounds).

After replacing the wheel that side seems loose like the bearings are real worn or not tight enough.

What should I do now? I didn't want to tear the hud down today as we are heading out on a 800 mile trip in a few days.

What to do?

That's what I pulled off with the sticker (trunion bearing cap)!
IMG00023-20110619-1252.jpg

Last edited:
If you put it back in keeping the shim (thin metal gasket looking thing) and torqued to spec it should be fine. Perhaps the play you speak of was there before and you didn't notice?

If you put it back in keeping the shim (thin metal gasket looking thing) and torqued to spec it should be fine. Perhaps the play you speak of was there before and you didn't notice?

It could have been! I put shim back in there as before.

PO Rebuilt the front end about 20,000 miles back. I have just been driving it the last few years.

I suspect the play was there. Check Landtank's FAQ for checking the front end.

I suspect the play was there. Check Landtank's FAQ for checking the front end.

I checked per Landtank thread and the other side is tight. Only the side I messed with is loose. Guess i'll tighten it up and hope for the best.

Where to get the 54mm hub nut socket? Tried a number of places today with no luck.

If you're in a bind, I believe a 2 1/8" is about the same size, any chance you could source that at a Tractor supply store or something?

If you're in a bind, I believe a 2 1/8" is about the same size, any chance you could source that at a Tractor supply store or something?

I thought about that and one shop had a 55mm. But I was trying to be smart after doing something this stupid in the morning and get the right tool

54 mm ~ 2.1259842519708 inches

2 1/8" = 2.125 inches

Off by .00984... or so... not exactly a whole mm (as 55 would have been).

I know people have used them successfully in the past.

I just used a 2 1/8 and it worked fine. I got it at sears for like 30 bucks. Frontier 4x4 sells the 54mm. Google them.

IPOR might have them as well. Give them a call 1.540.361.7400

I got mine off of the local snap on guy. Its a blue point and it only cost $22. Try to find a local dealer and hope that he has one.

atleast you didn't break anything. if all you did was just unbolt and bolt back on, you should be fine. put it this way,,,,if something was missing, you wouldn't be able to get that trunion cap back on.

FAIL

This turned into a big pain. I purchased a 54mm Socket from a tool dealer that turned out to be too thick to fit inside the hub. So I ground on it for 20 minutes with a angle grinder in order to get it to fit inside the hub. It fit, but is too shallow to ingage the adjusting nut.

I have ordered one off Amazon for $28 that should work and was forced to use the ghetto method to tighten the adjusting nut for this trip.

It feels tight, but I have no idea how the "pre-load" is set as I just turned the nut to the point that it would no longer wobble back and forth.

I did get my spare tire slow-leak fixed today so I hope that balanced out bad front bearing mojo. Also made sure I have a shovel, axe, and flat board on this trip. So up two, down one on the risk score for this trip.

I wish we had a good Toyota Wrench in the area, it would have been a better plan.

No snap on dealer in your area?

FAIL

This turned into a big pain. I purchased a 54mm Socket from a tool dealer that turned out to be too thick to fit inside the hub. So I ground on it for 20 minutes with a angle grinder in order to get it to fit inside the hub. It fit, but is too shallow to ingage the adjusting nut.

I have ordered one off Amazon for $28 that should work and was forced to use the ghetto method to tighten the adjusting nut for this trip.

It feels tight, but I have no idea how the "pre-load" is set as I just turned the nut to the point that it would no longer wobble back and forth.

I did get my spare tire slow-leak fixed today so I hope that balanced out bad front bearing mojo. Also made sure I have a shovel, axe, and flat board on this trip. So up two, down one on the risk score for this trip.

I wish we had a good Toyota Wrench in the area, it would have been a better plan.

You got MetalTech up that way and TorFab.....both good people. Go look at you local board in the clubhouse section.

FAIL

When you got to the no wobble state, I would think that would correspond to a zero preload which would be a little loose.

You may know this already but the proper procedure is to tighten the first nut to 45 ft/lbs to seat the bearing completely, back off and then retighten to proper scale reading. Personally I do it by feel as I done this for years on many different vehicles. The scale method seems imprecise to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom