1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real time ahelp SM420 swap

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by brew8, Aug 18, 2006.

1. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    I just rebuilt an SM420 to mate to an extreem Bends adapter, I used an early SM420 and it's out of a 2 ton truck, however on the end of the idler shaft in the rear it has a large washer with two bolts used to hold the shaft in the bearing, the lighter version has a snap ring around the shaft so the adapter will not fit over the bolts. Should I grind the bolt heads? Get a smaller washer? or has anyone used another tack to make it work, sorry the pic is so bad, thanks, Larry
    tranny 002resize.jpg

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

I have seen other people grind the bolt heads to make enough clearance.

3. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    Thats what I thought I'd try, thanks for the conformation, cheers, Larry

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I have ground the heads of the bolts and had to remove material from the inside of the adapter to make it work....

5. bigbluefj

bigbluefj

call him back

give steve a call back he should be able to help you

kevin

6. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    I actually ground the heads of the bolts and found a slightly thinner retaining washer drilled it out and it cleared fine, now if I could find where I put that thin bearing for the output shaft, I would be in good shape, Larry

7. theo

theo

I haven't done this mod. Just playing devil's advocate. Aren't you compromising strength by using a thinner washer? The washer is responsible for anchoring the shaft in position along it's axis. If you weaken it don't you risk excessive thrust if the washer bends?

8. too tall

too tall

Maybe you should find some 3/8 nft tapered allen bolts and countersink the washer that way nothing will protrude above the washer . Just a thought.

9. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    The tranny is out of a 2.5 to truck, I doubt that the cruiser with a 2F will exert that much torque to the tab to force it out, the reduction is from nearly a quarter inch to maybe 3/16 maybe an 8th inch maybe a 30 percent reduction, the lighter version uses a clip to hold it in no washer, let me know if you think I'm in trouble, cheers, Larry

10. theo

theo

But how much more gear reduction does your cruiser have than that 2 ton truck? And the 2F probably has as much or more engine torque as a Chevy 235 or 261.

Still, it sounds like you're using a pretty thick washer. You probably wouldn't be in trouble if you weren't from Billings! :D

Go Griz

11. too tall

too tall

I'm sure the fix you tried will be fine .There isn't that much torque front to back on the shaft . Which bearing are you talking about? If it's the one with the retaining ring around it then it goes in the adapter plate between the adapter and the t-case . The write up on EBI cruiserparts website should clarify even more.

12. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    Hey Theo, I went to Idaho State, but my daughter spent two years at U of M and is finishing at MSU, so I asked her is she a Cat or a Griz, she says go Griz, cheers, Larry

13. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Probably no more at all in front of the transmission :doh:

14. theo

theo

But torque is transferred from the wheels to the engine - through the entire drivetrain - every time you let off the gas, or descend a hill, or pop the clutch, etc. So overall gear ratio matters. :doh: :doh: double d'oh dude!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">