Real time ahelp SM420 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just rebuilt an SM420 to mate to an extreem Bends adapter, I used an early SM420 and it's out of a 2 ton truck, however on the end of the idler shaft in the rear it has a large washer with two bolts used to hold the shaft in the bearing, the lighter version has a snap ring around the shaft so the adapter will not fit over the bolts. Should I grind the bolt heads? Get a smaller washer? or has anyone used another tack to make it work, sorry the pic is so bad, thanks, Larry
tranny 002resize.jpg

I have ground the heads of the bolts and had to remove material from the inside of the adapter to make it work....

call him back

give steve a call back he should be able to help you

kevin

I actually ground the heads of the bolts and found a slightly thinner retaining washer drilled it out and it cleared fine, now if I could find where I put that thin bearing for the output shaft, I would be in good shape, Larry

brew8 said:
and found a slightly thinner retaining washer
I haven't done this mod. Just playing devil's advocate. Aren't you compromising strength by using a thinner washer? The washer is responsible for anchoring the shaft in position along it's axis. If you weaken it don't you risk excessive thrust if the washer bends?

Maybe you should find some 3/8 nft tapered allen bolts and countersink the washer that way nothing will protrude above the washer . Just a thought.

The tranny is out of a 2.5 to truck, I doubt that the cruiser with a 2F will exert that much torque to the tab to force it out, the reduction is from nearly a quarter inch to maybe 3/16 maybe an 8th inch maybe a 30 percent reduction, the lighter version uses a clip to hold it in no washer, let me know if you think I'm in trouble, cheers, Larry

brew8 said:
The tranny is out of a 2.5 to truck, I doubt that the cruiser with a 2F will exert that much torque to the tab to force it out . . .
But how much more gear reduction does your cruiser have than that 2 ton truck? And the 2F probably has as much or more engine torque as a Chevy 235 or 261.

Still, it sounds like you're using a pretty thick washer. You probably wouldn't be in trouble if you weren't from Billings! :D

Go Griz

I'm sure the fix you tried will be fine .There isn't that much torque front to back on the shaft . Which bearing are you talking about? If it's the one with the retaining ring around it then it goes in the adapter plate between the adapter and the t-case . The write up on EBI cruiserparts website should clarify even more.

Hey Theo, I went to Idaho State, but my daughter spent two years at U of M and is finishing at MSU, so I asked her is she a Cat or a Griz, she says go Griz, cheers, Larry

CruisinGA said:
Probably no more at all in front of the transmission :doh:
But torque is transferred from the wheels to the engine - through the entire drivetrain - every time you let off the gas, or descend a hill, or pop the clutch, etc. So overall gear ratio matters. :doh: :doh: double d'oh dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom