1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Time Advice: Re-setting preload

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Jeremiaheaster, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Jeremiaheaster

Jeremiaheaster

Hi all- I have to make an emergency trip to Portland and must leave first thing in the morning. Problem is, I rebuilt my front axle exactly 570 mileas ago. I am told I should be re-setting the preload on my wheel bearings at 500 miles.
    I estimate the trip is going to be 500 miles total which would put me at near 1000 before I could have a chance to re-set the pre-load.

Is this a must do tear into it tonight situation? or can I wait until I get back from the trip. I would have to cancel plans tonight, find a 54mm socket, spring tension gauge, and torque wrench (all of which were borrowed for the original job) just to get it done.

Opinions please!

2. KliersLC

KliersLC

Jack up your tires and check if your bearings are loose. If they are, you have to do it, or take it down to les schwab and have them do it. If not, you are fine, but check it again when you get there.

3. Rookie2

Rookie2

Where'd you hear this from??

Using the pre-load procedure in the manual, you can end up with play once everything has worked it's way around, but it's only necessary to go in and reset it if you have play. Jack her up, grab the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and work it back and forth to see if you feel any movement. If there is the smallest amount of play in there, you will be able to feel it when you do this. If no play... no worries. There's no need to tear into it unless you can feel movement. I do check mine periodically and have had to go back in and reset it.

:beer:
    Rookie2

4. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I have done two axles and never rechecked the pre-load. I have done the test that is shown in the following thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=137411

If it where loose, then I would tear it down and redo it.

Some folks may do it to be sure, but I don't think it's required

5. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Also, be advised that if you feel *faint* play you can get to the bearing nuts with the tires on the ground merely by pulling the wheel center caps and drive plates. Tighten the nut 15-20 degrees and reassemble. 20 mins/side. If later there's still slack, repeat.

As noted above there's likely no need, but for the anally retentive among us some do slightly readjust. Note that there is 'feelable' slack when the bearings are hot, so check when cold.

6. Jeremiaheaster

Jeremiaheaster

Thanks guys. I'll check it right away. Forum member thekirk told me to re-set in 500 miles. I called him though and he said to do the same thing you guys are saying.