Real Time Advice needed - Front Sway Bar - **Resolved** Thank You! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

777Gage

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello All,
Had to take a road-trip out of town to Mammoth Lakes for work. (285 miles)
Last evening I was backing out of a parking spot, as turned the wheel there was a loud bang in the front end. Stopped and inspected underneath to find my passenger side front sway bar mounting bolt was missing and the sway bar had up turned into the shock and tie rod. Couldn't find the bolt. Limped it back to the hotel very cautiously. Everything is closed today as far as NAPA, or any other auto parts. There is a Toyota Dealer about 50 miles away, they open tomorrow and hopefully have that bolt.
Is it horrible to drive it like this, other major damage? Any "Captain Obvious" ideas from our trail tested 200 members - anyone been stuck out on the trail with something similar? Also, trying to narrow down the part # of the bolt.

Bummed, just had my lift done about 10 days ago, appears this may not have been properly tightened.

Sway Bar Bolt.jpg

Here's a better pic of what it's resting on - and I'm pretty sure even if I find a bolt that's a job I can't do myself remotely.......bummer

Bolt 2.jpg

Is there a hardware store near by or Home Depot? I’d try using a strong bolt like grade 8 or better as a temporary fix. Do you have a ratchet strap that you could use to get it back into place? May also need a pry Bar or something similar for leverage.

Ratchet strap over the sway and and around the LCA, That’s where I’d start; hopefully that will give you enough downward pressure to lower the end link back into place. May also help to get the other side jacked up to ease pressure on the front sway bar to allow it to get back into place.

Ratchet strap over the sway and and around the LCA, That’s where I’d start; hopefully that will give you enough downward pressure to lower the end link back into place. May also help to get the other side jacked up to ease pressure on the front sway bar to allow it to get back into place.
Thanks,
Great idea, I'm going to head to the local mom & pop hardware store and see if they've got a bolt that will work temporarily. I had gone by NAPA and the hardware store yesterday but they were already closed.

Appreciate it!

Sorry to hear that. I’ve had this happen. Local dealer had to order the $12 bolt. It was a pain to install and that was in my garage with floor jacks, ratchet straps and pry bars.

Keeping in mind that it will effectively disable your sway bars, consider opening the KDSS balance screws up to 3 turns each, but not more than 3.

This will drastically reduce the forces on that side of the sway bar and make dealing with it much easier.

The bad news is I’m pretty confident most dealers won’t have that bolt in stock, though they may be able to dig around in their parts bins for something that will work. Common hardware stores likely won’t either. Consider fastenal or a dedicated bolt/nut supply place.. the hard part is you won’t have the old one to measure with.. the good news is with the bar out of the way you can easily try different bolts then when you find one of the right diameter/pitch, actually deal with pulling the bar down and getting the bolt started. Not sure if you installed your bilsteins but if not, expect this part to be a pain in the ass, unfortunately.

Fwiw I’d bet your old bolt is really close to wherever you heard the bang. There will be a good amount of tension in that joint and the only thing holding it together is the bolt.

I believe the bolt is a M14x1.5 x probably around 70mm in length
That's the size, took me about 20 min of trying different sizes to get it. Luckily the ACE Hardware here in Mammoth has a complete aisle of everything "bolts & hardware" related.
I also bought a ratchet strap, I'll try and see what I can do in the hotel parking lot. I'm pretty sure with my limited tools and lack of prybar I won't be able to get it. However, I'm good friends with the guys who run all the snow equipment here on the mountain and hopefully they will have some time/tools to help tomorrow morning. At least then I can head home Tuesday morning and give my install shop a hard time, hopefully they'll just apologize and take care of it.
Then I'll order the correct OEM bolt.

Finished!!! Took about 30 min (somehow that feels wrong?)
Tools Needed:
1. One Ratchet Strap
2. One M14 x 1.5 - 70mm in length (2.34 inch)
3. One Costco Dewalt 3/4 Drive Set
4. OEM Jack
5. A Few Great Suggestions from Board Members

THANK YOU 👋
@TLC2013 - @CharlieS - @turbo8 - @bloc I hope if we are ever fortunate to meet, we can share a couple cold ones, it's on me!

I used the ratchet strap with the first hook around the flat end of the sway bar. Then the strap and second hook around the lower control arm to the back holes on the frame below the passenger door. Bent the black plate out where the bolt goes in, just a tiny amount to give myself 1/8 extra room for the end link to slide in. Worked the ratchet handle a few times, finally ran out of arm leverage and went to the front of the LC. Used my right leg to push the ratchet handle towards the back. (honestly crossed my mind I might get hurt if I snapped the strap or any of it's parts putting that much pressure on it)
Then when it was close to the hole, jacked up the driver side lower control arm about 3 inches. Went back over and just moved the end link into place, slid the bolt in and tightened it up.

Very, very impressed!

20210613_163152_resized.jpg

20210613_163157_resized.jpg

20210613_163552_resized.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it's sitting a bit high on the drivers side now, I imagine it just needs to be driven and the sway bar worked a bit to level back off?

It looks like it's sitting a bit high on the drivers side now, I imagine it just needs to be driven and the sway bar worked a bit to level back off?

Worth letting it sit for a while.. it may go back to level by itself, but might not depending on how much load is on the internal balance valves. If it won’t self correct you’ll need to open the balance screws on level ground then close them again.

Nice! Did you loosen the kdss 3 turns or not to get the sway bar in?

Worth letting it sit for a while.. it may go back to level by itself, but might not depending on how much load is on the internal balance valves. If it won’t self correct you’ll need to open the balance screws on level ground then close them again.
Thanks,
That's what I was thinking, I bet a readjustment is the best thing. Will have my shop do that - and check all the other bolts!!!!
I'm not familiar with how to open the balance screws. I've had the LC for about 2 months now and just got my lift done, probably 600 miles ago.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Nice! Did you loosen the kdss 3 turns or not to get the sway bar in?
I was going to, but I'm not as familiar with the kdss as I should be. So I tried the low tech way first and gratefully that worked the first time.

Just got back from about a 10 mile drive and it still sits high on the drivers side, so I'm assuming an adjustment is needed. I'll wait until I get home, hopefully that's alright.

Having a difficult time finding the correct part number for that bolt - it's not as obvious as it should be on the OEM schematics.

Found one that looks like it's the correct one in the picture I got from megazip - 90119-14079 says it's a "Washer" and for the rear suspension, or OEM part source says it doesn't fit my 2016???

I'll keep digging

If your shop isn’t very familiar with 200-series cruisers make SURE they don’t open the balance screws more than three turns each. This can lead to depressurization of the KDSS system, a dealer-only repair job requiring special tools that usually need to be ordered, done by techs that likely have never done the process before.

Less than 3.. no problem.

If your shop isn’t very familiar with 200-series cruisers make SURE they don’t open the balance screws more than three turns each. This can lead to depressurization of the KDSS system, a dealer-only repair job requiring special tools that usually need to be ordered, done by techs that likely have never done the process before.

Less than 3.. no problem.
Thanks - This thread goes with me when I get back. I'm pretty sure they know about the kdss, they're pretty familiar with LC's. That was the first question they asked when I set up the appointment for the lift.
To be fair, it came back nice and level when they installed everything a couple weeks ago - all good except for that bolt falling out thing.

I do believe in being human, give grace, we're all going to miss something once in a while. Just own it.

Also going to research and become familiar with the kdss system, that didn't come OEM on my 40.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom