Real time A/C system help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got guests in town and their '02 VW Eurovan A/C is acting up. It's been intermittent and now no longer working as they arrived. Here's what I've found:

Bought gauge and R134 is fully charged.
When activated, A/C compressor clutch engages and compressor spins as normal with no untoward noises.
After several minutes, no joy out of the vents - just ambient air.
The metal lines both remain the same temp, where I'm used to one getting extremely cold in proper operation.
Low miles (39k) and well cared for. Condensor is clean and no external blockages.

In other words, externally everything seems normal, but no joy. Anyone seen these symptoms before or have anything to add?

Thanks,

DougM

More data.

According to the gauge kit, 45psi is the proper fill level. This one shows 105PSI when we first put the gauge on cold with the truck sitting overnight before starting. Then, it crept up to perhaps 110. What's wierd is that it does not change at higher RPMs - which I believe it should. So, perhaps there's an internal blockage/valve failure so the system's at too high an internal pressure so the compressor is unable to overcome the pressure to move freon??

DougM

Check the pressure with the engine running, and the a/c on max cooling. ;)

edit - or was that the 105 psi reading too?

Is the compressor engaged when you're getting these numbers? if so, the compressor is shot.

Eskimo,

Yes, with the compressor engaged we got that number. I agree it looks like the compressor or a pressure reg valve on it is shot. Thanks! No further info needed on this thread. Excellent real time responses also by PM..

DougM

3 year old compressor shot? sheesh, Germans........... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom