Real Horn = On Board Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So in my onld cruiser I got tired of beep beep just like in my 80. So that meant time for real horns, a quick search of eBay turned up what I was looking for Hadley big rig air horns.

Won the auction and had them shipped, now where to put them?? So since I haven't done the second battery and won't till I find a tray thought here might work.

Then the next issue the tank, I wanted a tank but had to figure out where I could put it without being in the way to much. Ahh this nice open space under my seat. I cut some steel I had and fashioned some brackets like the ones that hold my sliders on.
100_1075.jpg
100_1076.jpg

That's a nice! Very very nice!

I did the same thing but was able to mount the horns angled downward in front of the radiator and behind the grill. They just barely fit.

I installed an aux. air storage tank out of sewage pipe and use my ARB compressor to fill it.

So after getting the tank and horns mounted back to the source right, the compressor. I have played with what seems like a ton of these and will probably blow this one up to but it was cheap. Like 50 bucks and when it fails I will look for a replacement. I really wanted to run a york but that would mean giving up the supercharger...not going to happen. So in the cubby it goes...

Lots of wiring and plumbing insued but with a pressure switch, a switch in the cab and a blow off valve in the tank I was almost done right???

How am I going to activate my horns?? well in my 60 I had a pull cord, worked but not when you needed it most...last thing I would think to do when a jacka@@ cut me off was reach for the pull cord. This time it will be different, so an internet search started and after all my searching I found a floor mounted foot activated switch like a dimmer switch...ahh the easy of that was great...cut me off and a left foot to the big red button and the horn gets your attention...

I figured while I was plumbing I might as well add an air chuck??? so looking for a good place decided under the hood was as good as any so there it went...
100_1071.jpg
100_1078.jpg

That's a nice! Very very nice!

I did the same thing but was able to mount the horns angled downward in front of the radiator and behind the grill. They just barely fit.

I installed an aux. air storage tank out of sewage pipe and use my ARB compressor to fill it.

just out of curiousity what do you use to activate the horns???

So in my onld cruiser I got tired of beep beep just like in my 80. So that meant time for real horns, a quick search of eBay turned up what I was looking for Hadley big rig air horns.

Won the auction and had them shipped, now where to put them?? So since I haven't done the second battery and won't till I find a tray thought here might work.

Then the next issue the tank, I wanted a tank but had to figure out where I could put it without being in the way to much. Ahh this nice open space under my seat. I cut some steel I had and fashioned some brackets like the ones that hold my sliders on.

Now... THAT"S A HORN!!!!!!:bounce::bounce2::steer: I like it!!!

Got to love how a 10 buck horn turns into a 150 buck project.... Oh well I now have the horn I have always wanted. Now just need to find my my very minor air leak.

I am an idiot when it comes to something like that...but it is loud just like a big rig....ahhhh good times...and makes people know I am there :)

Thanks for the info.
I have been trying to figure out where to mount a horn also. I am not sure where to mount it yet. I was thinking in front of the radiator at angle also but I might want to add the oem fan someday.
We use our horns everyday getting around the traffic here in Baghdad. The air horns on our new MRAPS are crazy loud. When we lay on the horn they move out of our way fast. I want the same kind of respect when I get back to the states. LOL I would like to bring a horn home from one of our trucks that was blown up, but I could get in trouble for that. I just have to figure out a good place to mount it. They used one of our windsheild wiper switches to activate the air horn.

I was hoping to squeeze them in between the radiator and grill...but added a cheap electric fan there so no go...they are only gonna be mounted where they are till either I get a real front bumper or the double battery set up...then back to the drawing board...

Thanks Tim, for your comments on my Baby Boomer horn option. I agree, the "Toyota beep" and it's Japanese relatives, just don't go with the size of the 80. But, it's more than that, really. I never have cared for the tinny sound, even from other imported cars I've owned. I like your idea with the air horn as far as getting peoples attention, quickly. I'm not sure I could get to a foot activated switch in a reflex situation in time, I think I'd be reaching for the regular horn. One other thing, with all the nutcases that you could run into on the road these days that all ways have to 1-up you, it scares me what reaction that you might get from one of these yayhoos that you just scared the chocolate out of when they cut you off, for example, by blasting them with your airhorn.

If you are worried about people's response to my horn...my buddy has a train horn...now that will really scare the s&*% outta you...he is a big fan of blowing it at homeless people...when the walk out in front of him...needless to say it only happens once...

as for the foot switch I agree it might not be first reaction but much faster and easier to use the foot switch than the pull cord...

Does your factory horn still work? Why not just relocate or extend off of the wire going to the stock horn and hook it up to your air horn? Then your natural reaction, hitting the center of your steering wheel, would activate your air horn. Simple one wire project, then find a local ground for the switch.

Just an idea.....

Does your factory horn still work? Why not just relocate or extend off of the wire going to the stock horn and hook it up to your air horn? Then your natural reaction, hitting the center of your steering wheel, would activate your air horn...

I have mine wired to the steering wheel for that very reason :)

I know a lot of guys that have theirs wired to a remote toggle switch and it works, but when they actually need it, they have to go hunting for it :doh:

Using an extra relay and a rear heater switch I swiped from my 91FJ, I'm able to toggle from the stock horn to the big guns, but they both work from the horn button on the steering wheel :cool:

crewzerswitches.JPG

I did the same thing with my 2TZFZE Previa, but since I had 3 sets of horns on that one, I used individual switches for each....

Switch Panel Test Video

Horn Comparision Video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom