reading lower intake temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No second battery but I should mention that I have a Snorkel. It seems to me that the lower RPMs is what is allowing the air temps to rise. At higher RPMs there is probably more cooling from moving more air through the intake.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a hot water heater blanket maybe.

I love the idea of an insulating cover for the air can. Maybe a heat shield for the intake hose as well? If the high temps from the manifold heat that hose up enough to crack it over time, maybe a little insulation under or around that hose as well. I wonder if the foil covered bubble wrap would work. You could layer that stuff up pretty well if you need to.

Any bracket racers here? My dad's old 'cuda had a Moroso cool can on it. The can had a coil of fuel line running through it before the carb. You filled it with ice and cooled the fuel off in hopes of cooling the intake mixture for a more dense intake charge. It supposedly didn't do much for driving on the street, but was supposed to help quite a bit on the strip. That would be an interesting mod for data here.

I was looking at the rubber hose but I don't think it would conduct the heat as readily as the metal can.

For now I'm satisfied with what I've tested and the answers I've gotten. I will probably back burner the insulation of the can until next year.

landtank said:
Anyone have some ideas of what to use as an insulator? Something in a sheet material with an adhesive backing would be ideal ...

Rick,
Speed shops sell heat insulating materials. I have seen it in large tape rolls (~4" wide) and in square sheets. Check Summit Racing.

-B-

FWIW, I wrapped the intake hoses, can, etc. with some of that insulating stuff that was adhesive backed and aluminum foil about 1/4 inch thick and a foot wide. The only thing I can say is it was a mess to get back off. I ran with it for about three years, and it started to get beat up. It’s pretty easy to gouge the foil. No idea if it did anything, but it looked kinda neat.........at first.

Bill
Foil-Intake-Wrap.jpg

Thanks -B-, I took a look around summit racing and searched on their suppliers name for a local shop that sells the same stuff. I might get over there this week depending on my schedule. It would be nice to get this on soon for as close as possible comparison of my coat experiment.

landtank said:
Thanks -B-, I took a look around summit racing and searched on their suppliers name for a local shop that sells the same stuff. I might get over there this week depending on my schedule. It would be nice to get this on soon for as close as possible comparison of my coat experiment.
Do you think the tape that car/motorcycle
racers use to wrap the headers might work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom