Read drum to Disc Brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I am looking to convert my rear drum on FJ73 87 model to Disc brakes. I know from 1990 the FJ73 had disc in the back. I was told you could use the rear end from modern FJ cruiser ?. Who can advise ? Can I just change rear hub assemblyand add rotor and calipers? are the shafts different ?

Also looking to upgrade to 1″ Bore AISIN Master Cylinder and Dual Diaphragm Bosster. Do I need a upgraded Brakeload Proportioning system ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I have an early 80 series master and dual diaphragm booster. Never occurred to me to do anything to the LSPV. Works fine

I had the front converted to slotted discs and they are awesome. I had the back drums fully services and new pads etc. However recently I was gearing down and breaking into a right hand turn and the rear started swing around under breaking. I have experienced this before in another car with Drums on the rear. I just don't like drum brakes. I know they only perform a smaller percentage of the braking but on city roads they aren't good. Before I put in slotted front discs on the Midi, the braking was crap. I also have a 100 Series v8. Fat beast. Dream to drive. Slotted Discs all round and they work fantastically. Makes me want all discs.

The dual diaphragm booster, larger Master and slightly larger 4runner front calipers made all the difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom