Re-torquing front hub nuts after Toyota dealer performed brake job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I purchased the vehicle last year, I was short on time before a road trip and had the local Toyota dealer perform a front brake job. I knew the front rotors were warped so it was for rotors and pads. After I got the car back, it drove fine (i.e., no more pulsating brakes).

In the last few months, the pulsating brakes have come back intermittently. I just thought the rotors warped again. However, before a long road trip this week, I re-torqued all my lug nuts and rear hub nuts (last month - I rotated my tires and performed a rear axle service and brake job, replacing rotors, pads, seals and bearings - not dealer performed this time). So I re-torqued the rear hub nuts per the FSM and decided to check the fronts. The front hub nuts (to my surprise) were only finger tight. I torqued those to 26 ft-lbs per the FSM.

Over the last 2 days I haven't noticed the brake pulsations. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm wondering if the hub nuts not being torqued to specs (by the dealer?) if any permanent damage was done to the studs on the front hubs? Or is it purely coincidence that the pulsations disappeared after the hub nuts were torqued to specs?

Regardless, when I have some time this summer, I'll be performing a front axle service and switching the birfs from one side to the other so I can check for visible damage then but thought I'd ask the experts here. I can imagine that the nuts not being torqued down correctly maybe prevented the conical washers from doing its job in spreading the load and causing wear/shear load on the studs. Just a guess.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

FWIW - when serviced the rear axle last month, I checked the fill plug on the front knuckles and both the level and condition of the grease inside looked pretty good given age and mileage of the car.

If you are talking about the nuts that hold the drive flange on, they don't have any impact on the rotor.

You could pull the drive flanges off to see what the studs look like if you are worried about them. It only takes a few minutes to do that.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it's the nuts that hold the drive flange on. And yes I plan on taking the nuts off and pulling the flange to check. But there could be damage past the conical washers. And I hate banging on the hub to remove them so I'll wait to do that when I service the front axle.

I know the nuts have nothing to do with the brake rotors. Before tightening then nuts, I thought it was a warped rotor. But now, I am wondering if b/c the nuts weren't torqued down that the conical washers couldn't do their job, which somehow caused the pulsations during braking which made me think it was a rotor problem.

Nope. No way loose conical washers/bolts caused pulsations. The rotor and its orientation is determined by the hub bolts and the front wheel bearings the hub rides on. No way. However, I'd check to see if you feel front wheel bearing slack as a culprit. If not, I'd rebed the brakes which 99.9% sure they were not properly bedded on install. Search for this procedure or google it.

I'd also not worry at all about damage to the studs unless you feel the drive flange was in fact so loose it actually moved around. If that's the case, then possibly but you'd see grease having come out past the gasket, etc. I wouldn't be in the least concerned, however I'd let others know what Toyota dealership it was and wouldn't darken their doorway again.

DougM

PS - I think you overtightened those conical washers/nuts. If I recall, it is INCH lbs in the manual. If I'm right, you tightened them 12X their rating and you definitely SHOULD replace them now.

Doug,
Thanks. I'm encouraged by your post and more at ease that no damage was done. FWIW the Toyota dealership was in Sunnyvale.

I just checked the FSM and the torque spec for the hub nuts is 26 ft lbs (35 N-m). Phew, you had me worried there for a second.
Thanks, Rich

Hmm - gonna go check my FSM.... Can't have you TOTALLY relaxed. This place must fulfill its function of always keeping you resolute on your Cruiser - rather like Kato keeps the Pink Panther alert upon arrival home...

Doug,
LOL. Seriously though, let me know if you confirm otherwise re: torque on hub nuts. Would hate for my FSM to be incorrect...

Can't find it, but I'm 90 percent certain we determined there was an error in the FSM and it should read inch-lbs for those studs. I can't seem to find it on search.

DougM

Can't find it, but I'm 90 percent certain we determined there was an error in the FSM and it should read inch-lbs for those studs. I can't seem to find it on search.

DougM

seem's unlikely to me. the fsm also has torque ratings for the rear flange nuts, as well as the free wheeling hub body on part time models. they are all 23 to 26 foot pounds. And as they are all much the same it would mean quite a few errors in the fsm

also 26 inch pounds seems way too loose. I couldn't imagine the nuts staying on when the axle is vibrating and pounding over 100's of kilometers of corrugated roads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom