Re-tapping the T case fill hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DFXR

SILVER Star
Threads
'85 FJ60. My t-case fill hole is stripped. Common problem...

I'm looking at two simple on-the-truck options, and wondering what the consensus is from people who have tried either/both. (the t-case is not coming apart anytime soon)

1. Chase the existing threads with an 18mm tap and hope for the best with the old plug.

2. Skip the 18mm tap completely, re-tap in 1/2" NPT, and put a new 1/2" plug in.

Note - I am running the bypass hose, but I can get a male 1/2" x male 37 deg flare fitting if I go the re-tap route, and keep it in play.

Thanks-

DF

I have one that has been tapped to 1/2 and it looks really nice. You can actually remove the pto cover and access the inside to clean or catch the shavings. It would also help to fill the tap flues with grease prior to tapping so it will catch shavings also.

tap.jpg

1- tried it and it leaked, not enough material to really get enough threads.
2- successful. Drained case opened pto cover and made a ridiculously successful catch all out of an old funnel. Go very slowly on the threading.
3- actually ran a t-handled expansion plug for about 3 years and never lost more than a drop or two.

image.jpeg

Thanks guys. I have been a little worried about cracking the aluminum case with the big 1/2" tap but this is good encouragement. I will not be in a hurry and I'll prob use some axle grease on the tap.

The weld plug is a good solution but I'm gonna try to use the existing hole first.

I would be perfectly happy with an expansion plug since there's no pressure there... but I have the bypass/return hose going on so there needs to be a flow fitting.

Roma, that looks clean! The day I truly deal with the bypass issue, I'll be shopping for a nice copper plug like that.

I actually had a bung welded to a spare pto plate (of course I drilled a hole through it) and ran my bypass hose to that instead of to the fill plug. Then used the expansion plug for that time. Eventually broke down and dropped the case. I was tired of the leaks.

Dropping it is in my future. Over the last 2K miles I've seen leaks from the rear output shaft, the idler shaft, and now the stripped fill hole. AND it's jumping out of 4H. The t-case is trying to tell me something.

image.jpeg

This is what I did & yes eventually the leaks will drive you to dropping it.

I have one that has been tapped to 1/2 and it looks really nice. You can actually remove the pto cover and access the inside to clean or catch the shavings. It would also help to fill the tap flues with grease prior to tapping so it will catch shavings also.

View attachment 1562295
Noticed you don't have the wires going to the nut in the middle of the T case. What are those wires for, as I still have them in place?
Sorry for hijacking.

Noticed you don't have the wires going to the nut in the middle of the T case. What are those wires for, as I still have them in place?
Sorry for hijacking.

I'm sorry I don't know what you're referring to? The two cut wires you were asking about in other thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom