Re-seating Door Glass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like the rear door window glass has popped out of the rubber lined channel where it is normally seated.

I thought maybe I could just run the window to the top, and the motor would produce enough force to reseat the glass; nope. I thought I could just push it down into the channel; nope.

Next I will try a bar clamp. Has anybody applied to much force and broken a door window, trying to reseat in the channel ? Any tricks to get it back in ?

Have you taken the door panel off yet?

Years ago on a different vehicle, the regulator had hardware to help clamp it into the channel, which had come loose. The window runs were dry & causing too much friction, which eventually popped the glass out. Even with hardware loosened, the glass didn’t want to re-seat. I believe I used a small wipe of spray silicone and started at one corner, vs trying to press it in along the entire edge. You may have luck there, but the real question is why it came out in the first place.

Last edited:
IME the best way to go about it is to remove the door panel to inspect the channel and regulator to see exactly what has happened. Also better to remove the glass from the door if it's pulled out of the channel.

And if the steel channel that is attached to the bottom of the glass is sprung or rusty it's best to get a new channel and filler and reattach to the glass.

Some people however have glued the glass back into the channel using something like a windshield adhesive-sealant (not RTV).

Here's an older thread on the front door glass, same process as the rear:

The FSM has your answer. Hint: you need a rubber mallet.

When the weather gets better, I’m going to try leaving the window in the door, and using several ratchets straps, to drop it back in the bottom channel.

hi I have re done many of these. Get new rubber ,they wear out after 30 years.Put the glass in the new one.with a little soapy water on rubber outside to help it slide into metal bottom track. Careful push into metal bottom piece you have also removed from lift mechanism.You can use a Rubber hammer if very careful.reinstall in window carefully. Reinstall two screws to regulator.

I had the same issue with mine. Right-rear window. The PO disco'd the window because the metal bracket kept popping off. I got new window runs, but the OEM ones are NLA, so I compromised with what I could find. It was too thick and made installing the window even more difficult. I decided to recycle the old rubber, using soapy water for lubrication, a rubber mallet, and a 2x4.

I smacked the SH*T out of that window like Ike did Tina. I mean, I wailed on it. I let out frustrations I didn't know I had on that window. The window is strong. It worked.

On the first ride off-road, it popped out again, so I left it disco'd.

I also reused the old channel rubber since I failed to order a new one. Mine really looked to be in decent shape, and like yours was not easy to reinstall. In my opinion, go ahead and accept that you need to replace the window run (~$50), and pull the door panel. The window sticking in the stiff run is what is causing it to come loose. I cursed getting that channel back on, and didn't really want to pull the window and take a mallet to it. Yes, I know I am first telling you to do it right, and I'm about to share what worked for me because I was too lazy to do it all the way right. The window run can be replaced with the glass lowered in the door. Raise the regulator up to where you can access the channel through the door, and tape / prop / hold the glass up. With a new run, it will want to slide down quite easily. Use adhesive windshield sealant as a lubricant to put the rubber back in the channel, and then the channel back on the glass. I angled the regulator channel down and started at the back corner, then once started, dropped the glass the rest of the way down in to the channel. Be careful, don't get adhesive on everything. Clean up any adhesive spillage, raise the window back up to closed position, verify nothing moved out of position, and leave it alone for a day.

Good luck !

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom