Re pakcing bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am feeling a little slop er somthing when in 4x4 on the road, I am thinking maybe Ujoints and wheelbearings are the main cause of this.

I was looking at the tech section on Birfirlds.com and it says "Use a hub socket to remove the lock nutE." what size is the hub socket, as I would like to go get one before I start.

The instructions seem very stright forward, any other idea's on what it might be?

It's 54mm . I got the OTC one at NAPA. Its a good one. Get yourself some beefy snapring pliers also those retaining clips are a bear on cheap ones.

You need to define slop? Where is it coming from? Details Details

Cheers

Challis

2 1/8th " works fine also...
i bought a cheap 3/4 drive set from Princess auto years ago when on sale ($75??) just for this socket and found the other sockets have come i usefull as seal drifts and for the companion flange nuts..
cheers

Red Herring said:
Remember to get a brass drift, or/and a brass mallet to loosen the cone washers as well!

I find it alot more effective to smash the side of the bearing cap with my 5lb sledge once or twice. Usually loosens them all. Oh ya and anti-seize the s*** outa your rig every job you do. It makes it easier the next time.

If the slop is in the wheels your knuckle bearings(races) may be shot.

Yeah.. I never use a drift. I use a brass hammer on the body of the hub. Craftsman lock ring pliers and 2 1/8 with a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer is what I use. :)

ya there is some slop in the wheels when I rock it back an forth but nothin to excessive. I am not really sure on where the slop myself. What would you guys suggest I order before I rip my hub assumbly apart, I might as well do everything before winter wheeling. Keep in mind my rig has 264000km's on her and the front axle hasn't been taking apart yet. It has never really been off roaded much though. But i'm sure she could use some freshing up, the rig feels alot smoother at speeds in 2wd.

I' m just going to get the socket and stuff from Princess Auto. I just like breaking s*** and bringing it back, lol. As for brass drifts, where can you pick those up?

If you are going to rip it all apart, you might as well get the whole knuckle kit, and replace all the way down to the axle seal, yours is most likely leaking if it has never been done. new wheel bearings, and grease it all up. Don't forget the new gear oil, cause you might as well do that if it's never been changed.
Cheers,
Deny

agreed, which place is the best to order from and how much should I expect to pay?

Got mine at extreme bends for $200. Only thing not in the kit was metal wiper retainer. I just cleaned and painted the old one.

Dan at 4wheel, Steve at Extreme bends or Rob at Radd cruisers...
i use Dan for convience and he treats me good. he can usually find stuff that is really difficult...
cheers

Any emails/ phone number I could use Crusher?

thanks guys

As for brass drifts, where can you pick those up?

there is great tech write ups in the tech section here on mud. they will work for you no matter the series. all the same.

also buy a wheel bearing kit. they are I think 60 a side. worth it since you are in there.

I did the brakes at the same time. You have it all apart. but if your rotors are good, then no bother.

the tech write ups are very helpful. tells you how to do everything, how to pack the birf etc.

you will also change the inner axle seal while in there . its part of Dans kit, thats where I got mine. it was decent kit.

oh if you can't find the socket at napa( i could not here) then buy a snap on, I think it was in the 35 dollar range. it was nicely thin walled and fit in very well.

brownbear said:
oh if you can't find the socket at napa( i could not here) then buy a snap on, I think it was in the 35 dollar range. it was nicely thin walled and fit in very well.

you can also use a screw driver and hammer to whack it tight.
1 whack = 14ft/lbs

JUST KIDDING!
just kidding..really. don't ever do that.

hey Brownbear, did you get yours through our local Snap-on dealer here in Smithers? I also went to Napa and they quoted me $75 plus shipping. I also looked at Princess Auto but the 3/4" set only goes to 2" - (but it is on sale and I ordered one anyways torque wrnech too FYI). I too am due for a front wheel bearing service....timely post Eric thanks.
cheers,
johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom