Re-Key the Cruiser. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the things that I would like to do is re-key all the locks and ignition in my 80. The key that came with it, only one mind you, is too worn out to replicate and doesn't work in the rear hatch, and now not in the drivers door. What's the best way to go about it? Buy a kit and replace all the parts, or get a new key and have a general locksmith do the pin swap? And where do I get the necessary parts? C-dan?

Thanks

I would go to a locksmith and have a key made based on the key code, this would give you a key identical to the original key (before it was worn out). Should cost ~$15 and a heck of a lot cheaper than the (at least) several hundred $$$ to replace locks and ignition switch. My key was a little worn when I bought my 80 series w/175k, the locksmith was able to make a good copy from my original, but was going to do the key code thing if it didn't work. I think your dealer can tell you the key code if you don't have it.
You may not need to do any rekeying of the locks.
FYI- in my experience Toyota the dealers are not neccessarily the best for making keys, but you can get a nice toyota rubber head key blank from them, then go to the locksmith to have it cut.

hmm, hey C-Dan...what can a smart shopper do about this sort of thing?

Hmmmm,

"Toyota the dealers are not neccessarily the best for making keys, but you can get a nice toyota rubber head key blank from them, then go to the locksmith to have it cut."

I guess I'll toss my $3,400.00 computer cutter in the dumpster and quit doing it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you have the original owners information guide, there is a page in the back where the original selling dealer should have recorded the original owner's information and key code. The key ring also had an aluminum tag attached with the code stamped on it. The code is 5 digits, eg W1499.
If the code is not recoverable in this manner, you can remove the RH font door key cylinder and the code is stamped in the side.
The key pictured is quite worn but the cylinders may still be OK. I suggest a code cut key before you tear into the cylinders.

D-

Actually our local locksmith has the Toyota keys (black head with Toyota on them). He was $5 for the key with the cut. Our local dealer charges $11.95 for the key without the cut for the same key.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=7187;start=msg59770#msg59770 date=1068134470]
Hmmmm,

"Toyota the dealers are not neccessarily the best for making keys, but you can get a nice toyota rubber head key blank from them, then go to the locksmith to have it cut."

I guess I'll toss my $3,400.00 computer cutter in the dumpster and quit doing it. :rolleyes:
D-
[/quote]

Sorry :-[ , I shoud have qualified that, "My Toyota Dealer...." , they use one of those automatic key copying/cutting machines, same as the local hardware store, they work like #$@%. I haven't learned my lesson and every time I have a key made by one of those machines, I end up going to a "real" locksmith to have it redone (they always do copies by hand).

Thanks, I'll try that out first. I had a copy made last night at the local Lowes...guy was about 95, but could still cut a key. The key was too fat to fit in the door. :doh:

I guess I'll toss my $3,400.00 computer cutter in the dumpster and quit doing it.

Anyway, if you have the original owners information guide, there is a page in the back where the original selling dealer should have recorded the original owner's information and key code. The key ring also had an aluminum tag attached with the code stamped on it. The code is 5 digits, eg W1499.
If the code is not recoverable in this manner, you can remove the RH font door key cylinder and the code is stamped in the side.
The key pictured is quite worn but the cylinders may still be OK. I suggest a code cut key before you tear into the cylinders.

C Dans Da Man !!! :D
He was able to hook me up with some keys for the 96 80 by the code that work better then the POS I got at the locksmiths . It was well worth it as locksmiths dont even want to do anything for the regular "Joe" around here . :mad:
The best locksmith we had here retired last year and now the 16yr old that cleans the dumper at Home Depot cuts better keys :-\

That worked, stopped by the dealer today and $2 later I had a new key.

Thanks All, and -B- for the PM.

When I was shopping for an 80 I would take the VIN to a Toyota dealer to get a prinout of the standard equip and options. One dealer would cut a square out of the printout before giving it to me. He said he had cut out the key code.

So there is another way to get the code.

Ed

A good Locksmith can always make you a copy.

I made a copy of mine too and it works perfectly.

Mike

Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to rekey a 97 TLC to match the keys of a 97 LX 450? I think it would be nice to have both cars on one key. Maybe it would be less expensive to make the LX 450 match the Landcruiser?

in a lot of rural parts of canada you can just leave the keys in the ignition. they never wear out. too bad I live in the city. but nice owning vehicles good enough to last a long time and require keys due to wear.

OZCAL said:
Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to rekey a 97 TLC to match the keys of a 97 LX 450? I think it would be nice to have both cars on one key. Maybe it would be less expensive to make the LX 450 match the Landcruiser?
I don't have a price for you, but the less expensive way to go would be to replace the locks on the 450 with LC locks and have it keyed to match the LC. I suspect the laser cut keys of the 450 would be more expensive to duplicate.

The 450 locks are a little harder to pick, but that's really a moot point since a large rock tends to make lock picks obsolete.

rekey the ignition and use the remote FOB to get in.

Good ideas all - thanks . I would definitely prefer to have the LC key work in both cars, rather than the other way around. If I changed out the ignition in the 450 to match the LC key, then used the FOB to open the doors, I should probably keep a hide-a-key with the original 450 key somewhere in case the FOB failed.

By the way, like in parts of Canada, here in Australia (where the Landcruiser resides) I could probably get away without locking the car and a push-button ignition most times and places.

The 450 locks are a little harder to pick, but that's really a moot point since a large rock tends to make lock picks obsolete.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, I lose so many keys I should just keep a rock in my pocket...

My LX450 manual states that if the vehicle is locked using FOBs, then it MUST be unlocked using FOBs, no exceptions. Has anyone owning an LX tried disarming the security system with the key successfully yet ? I haven't had the gut to try since I live in a court - two horns blaring at 135db is not good!

Attempted break in of my 1991 HDJ81 has left my drivers side lock unusable. Is the dealer the best place to look for a repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom