Re-gear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I'm having lockers put in should I change our gears. Seems to make sense to me. But what ratio? I'm running 33" tires and plan on staying with them. The taller tires have thrown off the accuracy of my speedo so I think that rehearing would help solve that issue as well. Opinions please.

I was in your shoes few months ago and decided to go for it (when in Rome type of a deal). First of, it will save you from opening up your diff down the line. Second, your piglet will feel perkier. You can correct your Speedo via Yellow Box.

If you are looking to add more weight on your LC, yes.

The last time I checked, there was the 98-02 OE 4.30:1, the 03-07 OE 4.10:1, and an aftermarket 4.88:1.

From my perspective that would depend on what year 100 series you have…

On my 06 LX, it probably wouldn’t make sense.

On my 99 LX, or my son’s 00 LC, it might make sense.

Reactions: GTV
As JLB explained 4spd vs 5spd makes a difference.

Lotsa of considerations- do you live in mountains or hill country or flat land? Do you tow? How heavy is the truck- do you wheel a fair bit? Higher ratio will be very useful in many cases- it’s easier on transmission, you’ll get improved climbing and acceleration, maybe a tad better Econ, Other than cost of gears, there’s really no downside- it’s all improvement-
IMO.

33's and 4.10 5spd still ok- but to get you back to stock like gearing performance putting in 4.56 would be ideal.. if 4spd &4.30- 4.88 is better option. If you ever plan to do 34”+ no question then go to 4.88.

By not gearing now and if choosing to later- you’re looking at roughly an additional $1000 labor.

If you’re just trying to correct the speedometer, a “yellow box” is considerably cheaper/easier/more accurate than regearing (and still might be desired after regearing, to adjust the speedometer)

I've not regeared and don't plan to, but I can definitely see the benefits. I certainly don't think it's necessary with 33's. However, since you're already installing lockers and if you've got the money now is definitely the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom