RCV Front Axle Set Forum Vendor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
As tittle said .. I got few ( like 2 ) threads in the 100 series section talking ( not exactly good ) about RCV customer service, so I wonder how many MUD vendors are dealers for RCV ?

Anyone running 80 series 30 / 30 / 30 set ..?

cheers,

David

I believe a few folks are running them--scottryana is one, I think. Try a search to find some more info.

Also, who is tittle? She sounds lovely.

I've used RCV for years and their customer service has always been outstanding just like their products.

Rcv has always gone out of their way to give me outstanding customer service. I was waiting on a full setup for my 80, and the vendor I ordered through put down the wrong address. I called RCV directly when they didn't arrive, they confirmed that FedEx delivered to an address that didn't exist, and were all set to overnight, at their cost, a second set and file the claim with FedEx for the lost one.

Fortunately when FedEx couldn't find the address, tgey left the package on a random doorstep, and that person called rcv to track me down before they had shipped the second set.

David, I am running the 30/30 setup in my truck check my build thread for pics and descriptions. The product is basically the same as Bobby Longs old superset but with a few possible corners cut. Bobby must have spec'd all of his joints with a nickel chrome coating and that is what RCV's pictures show but when mine showed up they were a basic black rough coating. You can get the nickel chrome coating for an upcharge but that then makes the RCV joints $200 more than Bobby Long's old supersets. Additionally they come prepacked with a non-synthetic grease, where Bobby's came packed with Mobil 1 synthetic. So they are cutting some corners to maximize their profit but all in all they were a good product they fit perfectly and the machining was very very nice. In my mind even when trailgear comes out with their ripoff design RCV is the only game in town.

So Longs are no longer available now that trail gear took over? Was looking to upgrade that next damn. I guess RCV it will be. What does it matter chrome coated or not if they have lifetime warranty?

No longs are no longer available, trailgear sold the remaining stock and then took the design overseas to be copied.

The chrome coating provides better corrosion resistance and a better surface for the seal to ride on. The joint might have a lifetime warranty but I bet you RCV won't help you come pull your front end apart to replace seals ;)

Longfeilds are RCV

Why would you need corrosion resistance in a semi-sealed enviroment? As far as the seal surface, I've seen nickle (and other) plating cause issues due to thickness variations. The grease that RCV uses is spec'd to what their product needs, because Bobby included Mobil 1 doesn't necessarily mean it was a better choice.

Longfields were RCV spec'd to Bobby's requirements. If you bought a superset which I did and you bought the RCV joints which I did you can see that RCV is charging more and giving you less. The Superset was $795 and included the nickel chrome plating the RCV are $885 and another $100 to get the coating. So that's almost $200 more than the 80 series supersets that Bobby used to sell. Now it doesn't matter much as Bobby has passed and that option doesn't exist but if it did I am saying it was a better deal.

You wouldn't under most operating conditions, but if you swamp your truck and park it for a couple weeks, which would you rather have? to each their own, I am not going to argue but are the OEM joints a rough black finish? ;)

You can believe what you like I pulled RCV's grease out of my new joints I felt it first hand and it appeared to be money saving in my opinion. And don't go into "well how can you tell, are your hands certified grease testers" oil and grease arguements are endless and bore most if that's your thing go on over to Bob is the oil guy forum.

Last edited:
Longfields were RCV spec'd to Bobby's requirements. If you bought a superset which I did and you bought the RCV joints which I did you can see that RCV is charging more and giving you less. The Superset was $795 and included the nickel chrome plating the RCV are $885 and another $100 to get the coating. So that's almost $200 more than the 80 series supersets that Bobby used to sell. Now it doesn't matter much as Bobby has passed and that option doesn't exist but if it did I am saying it was a better deal.

You wouldn't under most operating conditions, but if you swamp your truck and park it for a couple weeks, which would you rather have? to each their own, I am not going to argue but are the OEM joints a rough black finish? ;)

You can believe what you like I pulled RCV's grease out of my new joints I felt it first hand and it appeared to be money saving in my opinion. And don't go into "well how can you tell, are your hands certified grease testers" oil and grease arguements are endless and bore most if that's your thing go on over to Bob is the oil guy forum.

RCV's have always been black. It's one of their signatures. Now that they are no longer selling them under the longfield name, they are black like the rest of their products. If you really want it, they still do it, but it costs. As for the cost increase, I would wager that since everything of theirs has gone up a bit, I doubt it's just to make a couple bucks on the toyota guys. Bobby passed 2 years ago this month, pricing can't stay stagnant forever. Materials and labor costs money, and in Rockford labor costs have increased as unemployment has dropped. I have no idea if that is what fueled it, but a lot can change in 2 years, especially when you manufacture in Illinois.

The grease they pack them with may not be Mobil one, but that doesn't mean it's no good. They pack their joints with a full synthetic moly, made specifically for them and their joints. It's damn good grease. The only bad thing about it is that it's $40 a tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom