RCV birfs and axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

slow95z

Always parting 80s
Threads
ok everyone. managed to break (yet another) birf over the weekend at GSMTR and i am sick of stock ones. i am stupid cheap and keep using ones from part rigs but now its time to fix it right. i need to know which of the 3 options to go with. my mind is made up on RCV because of warranty, history and customer service.

i am running 37s with 5.29s and always think more skinny pedal is the solution. i really dont want to bust a ring gear so i like the idea of a fuse i can get to. can i run the early style flange to make that the fuse? the splines shouldgo before the ring gear i would think. flange is a quick fix, diff is a ride ending event.

if the 24 spline ones are enough then thats cool but if i should upgrade to the 30 i will. the nice part about the 24 spline ones is i can keep stock birfs for trail spares. is the 300m worth the extra coin? i want to do it right and i am not sure which option is the best. not trying to cheap out, just want what works best.

I sense a rabbit hole coming up!

There are a few threads on here about the RCV 300M, however, I think it mostly pertains to the rear axles.

yeah, i couldnt find crap about the 300m in the front. i guess 24 vs 30 spline is my real question. i know the 30 is stronger but it doesnt give me the option of a factory one as a trail spare.

In this to see what others have to say.

I would assume if you are going with better material and properly treated material it would last longer than the stockers.

In this to see what others have to say.

I would assume if you are going with better material and properly treated material it would last longer than the stockers.
well they actually wont last as long but i need them to not bust when i get them in a bind which is my issue now.

I running the RCVs 24 spine axles, they have been in there for 5 years with 35s
37s and now 39s.
I running 5.29s 30 percent low rang gears plus the 10 percent under drive.
My truck sees hard duty as a purpose built trail Reg and I like to go to places like sand Hollow, JV( the Hammers) and all the Sierra Mountain Trail.
Leaving for the Rubithon tomorrow morning.
I have yet to have a issue with the axles.
I most likely would have gone with the 300ms had I know about them ( running the 300m rears ) or at the time that all they offered not sure..
But the 24 spine axles have held up with out issue.
I recently had the conversation with a body building an 80 axle for his mini truck based on our conversation he ended up buying the 24 spline axles over the 300M based on I have not had issues with them.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
dude, that is exactly the answer i wanted to get. seems the 24 splines will be plenty of upgrade but still allow me to run a factory birf as a trail spare.

I'm running the 24 spline as well for around 2 years.
No issues on 37's, 5:29's, tcase reduction and aisin hubs and V8 power.
I like the hard trails

24 spline rcv's are still a lot stronger than the front ring gear. Be careful in reverse, that's where the HP 8" starts shedding teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom