Rattling heat exhaust shields (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
After 290k and 25 years it’s time to address my exhaust system and fix a couple leaks and rattling heat shields.

My question has to do with running the stock Cats without the factory heat shields. Is anyone doing this? My concern is igniting random grease and oil splatter. Not that this a serious possibility but your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Perhaps but there is another heat shield above. I went ahead and bought some header pipe wrap. My plan is to pack the wrap in such a way as to silence the rattle.

i have no heat shields or cats in my 93 and no problems at all. much cooler in the cab without the cats.

I removed the rattle trap heat shields on my 91 a few years ago, I have experienced no noticeable difference in floor temps and have yet to light the sage brush on fire or cheatgrass on fire......

Don't know if it is the same heat shield, but I have had success in keeping mine and getting rid of the horrible rattle by using big hose clamps to keep them snug. YMMV

Not the same ... you are thinking of the shield on the cats.

I considered building up a pair of test pipes to install but what about Mother Nature????

I’m leaving the head like heat shields off for sure and considered leaving off the cat shield too but then I thought about igniting not only dry grass (when do I drive through deep grass? Never.) but also stray grease and oil splatter (does this really ever happen?).

So, I went down to O’rielly and picked up a roll of header wrap to stuff between the cats and heat shields. But now I’m thinking I will just go sans heat shields unless @Tools R Us tells me exactly where to place the tack welds.

Last edited:
Most of the ones we see have been reshaped, by touching rock, etc, so each is somewhat unique. Have no problem with removing the shield, but find it easier to bang with a hammer, tack where it rattles, repeat until it doesn't rattle anymore. :hillbilly:

I ran a bosal y pipe for a while (garbage, in case you're curious). That comes with a bottle style cat with no heat shield. Didn't notice any difference heat wise and didn't catch anything on fire (my truck is oilier than most).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom