Rattle when accelerating. Yes, I have read the other threads. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_0923.JPG

There are 10+ threads on rattling when you accelerate or when the engine is under load around 2k rpm.

Known reasons for potential rattles:

worn motor / tranny mounts,

muffler components vibrating,

plastic engine cover,

exhaust / manifold head shields,

shock bolts,

cheap, s***ty CV axles...

What else? I cannot figure out the rattle. Everything above has been replaced/addressed on my 99. Is it a cat?? Torque converter?? Its not at the rear of the truck...sounds like it's right behind the motor.

The rattle doesn't affect performance or literally anything. It goes away around 2300rpm. It does this when hot or cold. It's a similar "tinny' rattle similar to heat shields but every heat shield has been removed from my exhaust. Maybe it's a worn exhaust hanger?

Anyone have any other information?

Last edited:
Do you still have the plastic cover on the engine? That's been known to rattle after the foam pads underneath it disintegrate.

Do you still have the plastic cover on the engine? That's been known to rattle after the foam pads underneath it disintegrate.
I took it off! I had that rattle as well when i first purchased the truck. Was like, a "buzzzzzzz"

Place the engine under load (Brake or E-Brake while giving it throttle) and have someone find the source. Do this in a safe environment (can't stress this enough) and use wheel chocks.

Bad motor/trans mount is my guess. Can you feel it in the gas pedal?

My 99 has the same rattle. New motor mounts and transmission mount did not make it go away.

I developed that, after AHC delete and it sounds like under the middle to rear of truck so Im guessing mid-suitcase muffler as mines pretty shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom