1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle on Slow acceleration

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by collector_edi, Jul 6, 2005.

1. collector_edi

collector_edi

I am a proud owner of a 97 collector's edition bone stock. I have taken the advisement of others by not developing a heavy foot. I noticed on slow accelerations a rattling sound coming from the transmission or a metal plate under the vehicle. If I step on the petal the sounds goes away. I believe the previous owners did some towing with the vehicle and wonder if the tranny was stressed or if their is a loss plate causing the sound.

I find myself stepping on the gas to eradicate the noise but would rather have it repaired.

2. collector_edi

collector_edi

loss plate causing the sound.

loose plate causing the sound? My editorial...sorry.

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

cat heat shield....

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

check the shield on the front pipe right where it turns under the body in front of the first cat. Mine has total roted off, but in the interum it ratted quite a bit.

5. JZenger

JZenger

Sounds just like what mine was doing and it was the heat shield on the exhaust pipe that can be seen in the passenger side wheel well back and behind the wheel. My heat shield had rusted and was almost falling off. Based on a tip I found somewhere on here I used a hose clamp to tighten it up and no more rattling.

6. collector_edi

collector_edi

Fascinating. I will look in that area and do a search to find out more about the clamp. The rattling is making my hair rise. It isn't too bad but I don't like the strange looks I am getting from the passenger.

Thank you one and all!!!

7. Draken

Draken

Media:
    I had the same rattle....It was getting to the point that I almost did something about it :)... I had theorized that it was the cat shield and had read about it too...However just when I was going to do something about it...it rattled itself off and now no more rattle :). And to ease any worries...I haven't had any heat issues from the Cat.

8. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Ah Hell - just stomp on it, and report back in a few weeks on both the rattle and your gas mileage. hehehe

9. Spydaz

Spydaz

Rattle

I just noticed the same rattle. What the heck is it?? It only is heard at slow accel and when the drivetrain is not warmed up. when drivetrain is warmed then sound goes away.

Any ideas??

10. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

see post #4 above.

11. Spydaz

Spydaz

Not rotted. Truck has 41k on it.

12. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    while you're at it, check the Tcase skid plate thing. If it's too close to the bottom of Tcase, then bend it down a little. It's flimsy.

13. willmaxr

willmaxr

I had 55k on mine when I had the rattle. 3 or so hose clamps on the spot noted above in post #5 has taken care of it so far........

Dang 41k miles. I was feeling good about my 73k.

14. Spydaz

Spydaz

Found it. There's a nice small boulder in my damn cat conv sheild. How the heck do ya get that thing out??? I tried water..nope i tried a small tool....nope. Well any ideas?? The damn thing sounds like death until the exhaust heats up and expands. I guess i'll hit it with the power washer when i get home or i'm gonna grind the bottom off with my dremel!!!!