Rattle Inside Right Front Fender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran a search for this, but came up empty-handed. I've developed a pretty loud rattle that I've isolated to the right front fender. The rattle is tied to the vibrations of the engine and seems to be most prevalent under acceleration from a stop and deceleration back to a stop. It's definitely more severe when it's cold, making me thing that maybe it's something that warms up, expands and tightens up? I can sometimes make the sound when I hit the air filter box just right with my hand, I've also been able to recreate it by hitting the exhaust down pipe pretty hard with a rubber mallet. I had the car on a lift and everything obvious is tight. Does anyone know what is inside the fender that could causing this? It is definitely becoming more severe over time. It sounds kind of like someone lost a wrench in there and it's rattling like crazy! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

head gasket.

Have you checked your antenna assembly? Checking the threaded washer on top of the fender (where the antenna pops out of), and check the bolt that holds it in place inside the fender.

worth a shot.

More than likely heat shield or antenna could be a motor mount start prying or prodding

Exhaust heat shield. Its probably cracked where it bolts the down pipe. put a couple hose clams around the shields and see if it goes away.

Heat shields rattle like a crazy mo-fo. They will also trick you on exactly where the rattle is coming from. I especially noticed mine when the A/C kicked on.

The only thing in there is the antenna assembly & the air intake thingie.
air intake do-hickey (profession term) is plastic, but does have a metal securing band.

if we want to make wagers, I’m going with a 10mm wrench.

There is a piece of plastic on the air intake inside the fender, that extends back from the air filter intake location. Its like an object collection box back there that is intended for larger, heavier items so they don't enter the filter. If that thing is loose, or you got something caught in there, it will rattle too.

As a follow up, I've identified the culprit! I have the Dobinsons's 1.75" progressive rate springs installed. As it turns out, the top two coils were rattling very loudly against each other with the engine revs. I jacked the car up and shoved some wetsuit neoprene between the coils, and viola, problem solved! I have some of the Tein Spring Silencers on the way for a more permanent fix. If anyone has installed aftermarket progressive rate springs with the tight spacing coils at the top, they could be the source of a rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom