Rattle in rear after lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, so I now have this metal on metal rattle coming from the rear of my truck after I put on the Slee 6 inch springs. It sounds like something large is loose in the suspension. It is brought on by bumps/cycling in the rear suspension.

Now for this lift the only thing I installed were the springs and to do this I disconnected only the shocks and the sway bars.

I've looked over everything and it all appears tight. I've watched the truck move and I can't see anything that is rattling. Right now I'm down to three theories:

1. The rear driveshaft is droping more and it can now come in contact with the muffler. I've tried checking out this theory by kicking the muffler and it can indeed come in contact with the driveshaft, however I don't see the exhaust moving enough when I hear the noise going up the driveway.

2. The adjustable rear u[[er control arms are jiggling. Now I had these on my trucl before the lift and I didn't notice this noise as much. I definitely think these things can make noise but that doesn't explain why I'm getting noise now.

3. All the control arm bushings are binding since they are now at a new angle then they were torqued to. I thought this in conjunction with the adjustable control arms could be a source of rattling. To see if this could be the cause I loosened one of the adjustable control arms, filled the threads with grease on the loose end, and retightned at ride hieght. This didn't see to make much of a difference.

So I'm at a loss right now as to where this new rattle is coming from. I'm hoping to get a second set nut so that I can tighten up the upper control arms and eliminate then from the cause.

Does it sound like BB's in a beer can?

No it's more like pots and pans clanging.

I just found this old thread of mine and feel like I should respond with the conclusion. It turned out to be the rear upper control arms. The lack of a second lock nut allowed the non locked part to rattle. By adding a second lock nut I was able to eliminate the noise. I believe Slee now provides the second lock nut on their arms now.

EDIT - Nevermind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom