Rattle coming from oil pan, loose nut or bolt? Should I pull the oil pan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Another question, my FJ40 1978 makes a strangle rattle. Usually only when engaged in gear and driving, but sometimes also does it in neutral. The sound varies with RPM.
Really think this could be a loose nut or built that fell in during repairs, the car had it since I bought it (6 months) and hasn't caused issues but I'd rather now fix it to avoid further trouble.

What's the best way to get a loose nut or bolt out? Do I have to pull the oil pan or are there alternative tricks?

Thanks again in advance!

Sure it’s not a loose driveshaft bolt?

Or maybe a loose throwout bearing?

or the bellhousing cover is loose

Thanks for the replies guys, the weird thing is that sometimes it's rattling sometimes it's not.
For example, yesterday I took it out for a short spin and it was rattling continuously in all gears, then I stopped at a traffic light and in 1st gears with clutch in it rattled, when putting it into neutral with clutch out it still rattled (the road was at a slight incline). Then when I came home (rattling), I drove to my parking lot in my garage (in a decline) the rattle disappeared. I had idle for a while in neutral but couldn't get the rattle to appear again so I could listen underneath the oil pan...

Really seems to be a loose nut/bolt... but wondering what the quickest way is to diagnose that without taking the oil pan off altogether??

Get a stethoscope or put a long screwdriver to your ear and start touching stuff while it's rattling. Get a length of hose, like heater hose, one end to the ear and move the other end around to isolate the location.

If your motor is full of oil - the oil itself would dampen the sound of loose metal rattling in the oil pan so we can rule that out.

There’s a million options that we can’t help determine, like @pb4ugo said - figure out how to isolate it or pull off immediately when the sound occurs and start looking….So drive the truck a lot more until it happens again.

Long shot here. Does your truck have a catalytic converter for whatever reason?
My truck had one that was falling apart inside, making a metalic popping sound at random times.
Baffling inside converter came apart and was bouncing around.
cat converter.jpg

Thanks again for your insights all, I just went for a drive in my garage to further diagnose it (I live in a building with a parking garage that has multiple stories with steep driveways). Here are my findings:

- Only rattles in an incline or decline (or by accelerating quickly or decelerating/braking); either in gear, clutch in or out and also in neutral
- Usually rattles most when in gear (e.g. 1st) and accelerating, especially when in an incline
- The rattle sounds irregular, i.e. it's not a constant rattle
- It looks like it's coming clearly from underneath the front of the engine, definitely not the transfer case and it's also less likely the gearbox

Here's a video of the sound:

Was going to suggest splash shields as well. Maybe loose or a bolt is sitting on top of one or?

Thanks again for your insights all, I just went for a drive in my garage to further diagnose it (I live in a building with a parking garage that has multiple stories with steep driveways). Here are my findings:

- Only rattles in an incline or decline (or by accelerating quickly or decelerating/braking); either in gear, clutch in or out and also in neutral
- Usually rattles most when in gear (e.g. 1st) and accelerating, especially when in an incline
- The rattle sounds irregular, i.e. it's not a constant rattle
- It looks like it's coming clearly from underneath the front of the engine, definitely not the transfer case and it's also less likely the gearbox

Here's a video of the sound:
I just watched the video: is your fan hitting the shroud or something else?

I would not drive that until I found the source of the noise.

Hmm interesting, I'm going to check the fan/shroud, I would assume that if that's the case, the result is a damaged fan or shroud?

Hmm interesting, I'm going to check the fan/shroud, I would assume that if that's the case, the result is a damaged fan or shroud?
That’s the result, the cause would be engine mount related or something related to fan/shroud combo. It’s a South American truck so who knows what questionable work someone has done.

you can place a jack under the oil pan with a block to spread the load and see if the engine raises up. if it does, usually it is the left front motor mount bad

Alright, another update: I just checked whether the fan was hitting the shroud...

- Realized piece of the shroud was broken and hanging loose, I taped it as a quick fix (see pics)
- Drove again through my garage but the rattle persists

See pics below. I have a plastic fan that seems to have quite a bit of space around it and no clear signs of damage (at least not from continuously hitting it).
Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.51.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.51.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.51.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.52.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.52.18 PM.png

Record a video of the engine running and slowly walk around engine bay. Fan has wear marks and doesn’t look great but a video walking around slowly will help.

Electrical tape isn’t going to last, lol. You need to actually bolt them together or a small weld.

Thanks Mattressking, my handbrake doesn't work backward so need help but yes will ask someone to sit in while in an incline to keep a foot on the brake so I can make a better video. In the meantime, just wanted to say you folks are all amazing by helping me troubleshoot this and pointing me in the (hopefully) right direction!

Well, while under there, give the parking brake adjuster a click turn and see if it starts holding in reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom