Rattle Can spray paint - Startdust Silver 147 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Taking one for the team here. I have some clear coat failure on my hood and roof along with stains from the back-pressure gas tank issue (that has since been resolved). Paint on the sides have a nice patina. It will be a while before I get a nice repaint on my 60, if I ever do it, but I don't want the current paint to continue to deteriate.

I typically break out the clay bar once a year and re-wax it and that's helpful, but the Colorado sun has it's way with these old rigs.

So I dropped $80 on a couple of cans of clear and a couple of cans or Startdust Silver 147 mixed per order (according to their website)

I read some good reviews online, figured my truck is running pretty good at the moment so I thought I'd have a little fun with it. I'm sure it won't blend perfectly seeing as how my paint will be 33 and half years older than what's coming out the can, but who knows. I'll try it on the roof first.

Anybody else used this stuff? I'll report back in a couple of weeks as they say it'll take some time due to the Covid to get it to me.

I got a couple of their 12oz cans in Beige 4E9 to do various touch ups. The color seems like a good match to my eye, but so far I have only used on the firewall to repaint an area where the clutch master cylinder dripped and ate up the paint in that corner. The can sprayed easy (make sure you shake it really really good) and came out smooth.

I planned on repainting the front edge of my hood and the lower valance with the same cans as there is some surface rust, but I found out that the exterior of the truck got a cheap respray at some point in not-quite-factory-tan-color so that's on hold. However the spots under my door mirrors that were not repainted match the AutomotiveTouchUp color really well.

I also used a can of their high gloss clear to coat my dash grab bar when I repainted that to match the dash color, it also sprayed nice and even, but make sure you wear a mask when spraying as if I recall correctly it was quite potent smelling.

I used their desert dune spray paint on my 98 4runner. Colour match was identical.

You guys got me excited to get my rattle cans..

I'd love to have perfect paint, but a 60 would be useless if I had to worry about scratches. Nothing wrong with trying, at least it slows the rust.

Yeah, I'm mainly doing it for two reasons.

1. I fixed the back pressure in my gas tank, so I want that stain gone
2. Stop the clear coat failure that has led to paint decay which will lead to rust.

Def not looking for perfect

I want complete paint to protect the metal but I don't care or want perfect paint since then I'd worry about scratching it. Damaging or rusting the metal underneath, I'd care about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom