Rattle can paint that won't fade from UV, etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to have both factory hitches sand blasted, then prime and paint them Caterpillar yellow just for fun. The 93 I painted red a few years ago, but it has faded to a crappy look. I also painted my mailbox a nice yellow last year but a single year in the Idaho sun has faded it badly as well.

Can anyone recommend a rattle can brand that will not fade in outdoor use? The yellow was specifically for out door use but it did not work out. Failing this, is there a rattle can clear coat that can provide a UV/fade resistant ability to any underlying paint?

Thanks.

DougM

Just went to the garage to see what I used. The mailbox was Krylon's Rust Tough Enamel which is recommended for "mailboxes, lawn furniture, ..." but apparently only if you don't mind repainting every 8 months.....

Not sure, but I think this is also what the red hitch paint was.

DougM

In automotive finishes, the UV protectant is in the clear. I'd research that route.

-Spike

Get to your Cat dealer..

I work for a large excavation company, we find that the original Cat yellow in a spray can is pretty good stuff. It only fades when you spill diesel on it...:beer: Make sure if you want that full on red neck look to buy a Cat Power sticker fer yer back winder too, while yer in ther gettin yer paint. Seriously, though, I've been told that Cat paint is made by PPG.

All SEM paints I'm aware of are pretty UV resistant. They are sold as vinyl dyes typically but can be used on just about any surface with great results. They are sold locally through automotive paint stores or you can google sem color coat (I think). Not sure how many colors are avail.

There is no hope. Even the best paint will fade. It is the nature of nature to destroy man's best efforts unless we maintain them. A bit of quality wax a few weeks after painting will slow the inevitable advance of natural processes. Then repeat every year or two. That's the best that you can do. No kind of magical paint will do it for you!

Doug,
Just another thought.
You might want to give Maaco a call.
If they can paint and entire car for $200 how expensive could it be for your hitch.
No masking etc. They mix UV-resistant poly into their paint (Velspar I believe)
Give them a call or experiment with the poly. I recommend Zar UV resistant Exterior polyurethane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom