Rate the Overall Reliability of your 100 (1 Viewer)

How do you rate the reliability of your LC100?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
On a scale from 1-10, how do you rate the overall reliability of your 100?

Last edited:
I don't want to be accused of being "Mr. Toyota can do no wrong" guy, but I haven't had a single problem with mine minus the rear vent window hinge becoming loose.

Then again, I've only 24K on it.

macneill said:
I don't want to be accused of being "Mr. Toyota can do no wrong" guy, but I haven't had a single problem with mine minus the rear vent window hinge becoming loose.

Then again, I've only 24K on it.

I'm in the same boat as you, bought it 2 yrs ago with 49K, now @ 84K.
Not a single issue, PM and front brake pads is all I've done.

I've only had my 100 for a short period of time. I've based my "8" on the past service records though none of the repairs were drivetrain related. Side mirrors twice, steering wheel "groan" and rear seat belt.

I'm at over 125,000 (maybe more, I forget), bought it at ~78,000 with UNKNOWN service history and it has still been pretty darn rock solid. That being said I do believe in some PM for example I'm doing the starter contacts even though they haven't gone out. I figure for the small amount I've invested in the vehicle buying it used I at least owe it some PM to ensure it is reliable.

So far the only real "repair" item for me has been leaky boots. Even the tire wear has been exemplary on the vehicle. I've got 41,000 on my REVO's and I'm changing out my BFG Rugged Trail (POS) tires on my Taco at 28,000!!!!

I'm gonna go with a 9. The only reason I give it a 9 and not a 10 is because I like the vehicle so much I do more maintenance on it than my Tacoma just because it's more important to me! The Tacoma I feel is more of a "run it in the ground" vehicle were as I don't want my LX to ever go downhill! That's the main reason I quit using it as a vehicle to land survey out of and now use the Tacoma.

Forgot, one other thing broke. The telescopic steering wheel. Don't miss it a bit but I may have it fixed one day just so it will work as it should.

I rated it a 9. I have had 3 99 LCs.

1. White - Basically new, no issues at all. 10
2. Champagne - 2 TPS issues, broken front diff and starter contacts. I may have caused the TPS issues with a stupid K&N filter. 8.
3. River Rock - 106k miles. Starter issues however this one is a 10 so FAR. Purchased with 100k miles.

I'm hoping I'll get 8-9 out of it.

Competition in the market place may have led Mr. T to minimize more production costs than he did in the earlier 100 series models. Mine is an 05 and I'd sure like to have had a factory locked option!

Belive me, I'd be extremely happy if I'm wrong.

I voted 10. Out of the 2 100's I currently own, I have had zero issues between them.

These vehicles kick arse!

I gave it a 7.
I have had two for a couple of years now. I gave the 2002 a 9, it has been great. But, I gave the 2000 a 5 because I had to replace the transmission.
Now I went to public school, but I believe that averages out to 7.

we've had a few minor issues with ours:
- the noise in the steering wheel tilt/telescoping system
- leak in A/C system and loss of freon
- horn not working properly
- loose bearing on front wheel (but could have been bad adjustment during PO maintenance, don't know)
- stupid idiotic tow harness feedback issue
- plastic cover on roof rack either fell off or was stolen

nothing major mechanical or electronic so far

gave it an 8

7 truck has been great no problems other then loosing teeth off the front crown wheel 3 times :censor: and a CV or two:confused:

I've had two problems, one was my fault. I didn't do a proper survey before signing the papers. The truck was a repo from Texas, the cats had been removed. The fly by night dealer in Alston MA. I bought it from reset the engine light and told me it had a tank of bad gas. I hopped a plane for work and was back after the state lemon law time statue was passed.
The other problem is the rear wiper. I've changed out every part but the ECM and it still won't shut off. I had to pull the power plug at the relay to shut it down.

Just bought mine and did all maintance to bring it up to like new status. If it acts like my old 80 I will have it for years and years and years without a problem. But I don't want to jink myself by rating it now. Live in a small town with a lot of short trips so I am using my new 350Z for the short trips and only using the LC for trips over 20 miles so it gets all warmed up and is not run a mile and then shut down. I love this vehicle and want to treat it right. :)

99 w/ 88K - rated at a 6

Issues:
Starter contacts
TPS failure
Fuel gauge inaccurate
Power antennae broke
drivers side mirror
lumbar motor gone on drivers seat
tailgate cables broke

98 113k rated 9
broken tailgate cable
no gas pedal response twice
Broken drivers window mount
Trailer wireing

99 LC. Intermittent TPS failure twice. Alternator failure. Starter contacts. Cat converter rattles. Warped brake rotors( could be over torqued wheels), bad wind noise.
All before 66k.

8 due to:

Starter contacts (replaced entire starter)
inoperative folding mirrors
power antenna mast inoperative
power telescopic function on steering column always out of adjustment
horn works intermitently

On the other hand, friends with other luxury SUV's (Range Rovers, Lincolns, etc.) are ALWAYS working with some sort of problem. Let's face it, when these trucks are "right" - which is the VAST majority of the time - they're "RIGHT!" I can't say enough good things about the truck overall, so I can certainly put up with the very small problems I've experienced.........I just wish the new model LX would come out, as the 100 series LX/LC, in my opinion, is becoming a bit "long in the tooth"

Hope the new body style is not disappointing...........

You guys with the broken tailgate cables: What conditions did they break under? I've overloaded the tailgate so bad I'm not even gonna say by how much and they haven't busted. I'm definitely gonna treat them differently after seeing that you guys have had them fail!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom