Rate my plugs! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
96 FZJ80, 240k ish miles. Baseline now. The wires look/feel original. IMO it ran pretty well before the new plugs, installing now and will update later. Replacing plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and intake tube.

20210619_220039.jpg

20210619_220049.jpg

I was going to suggest going to a plug with a lower heat rating but you are already at the low end for that particular plug. I run that plug with very good results.

Last edited:
Look, I don't know how to tell you this but your pistons are straight up not having a good time. You have either a massive air leak or those plugs are not working.

Vacuum leak somewhere, or slow response OX sensor, or low fuel delivery (bad filter, FPR, pump)

And,... are you getting outstanding gas mileage?

I would suggest chasing a vacuum leak, and consider replacing all the vacuum lines on the engine, and the PCV grommet, valve and hose too.

A while back, I changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap etc and ended up with a truck that was running better, but had an intermittent miss.
I taped the intake hose to be sure it wasn't leaking. No change. (Ended up replacing it anyway)
I changed all the vacuum hoses, pcv etc and finally the miss is gone.

I'm not sure how lung these plugs, wires, rotor, cap were on. I've out on about 2000 miles since I bought it earlier this year. I'm assuming the O2 and exhaust is the next on my list to replace, defintely not the best condition. I've replaced most of the vacuum lines, deleted egr, new pcv and hoses, new intake hose, new oem filter. It doesn't really burn oil, I haven't had to add any since I changed it about 1000 miles ago. It drove fine before the tune up-no misses, although now it definitely idles smoother and more stable. the only code I had was p0401 which was fixed with the egr delete. I'll have to check the plugs again to see what they look like. I need to do the fuel filter as well. Thanks everyone, I'm glad that the first response wasn't "I think its your HG." I should have clarified that ran well before tune up, even better/smoother now. I am unsure about the HG, it's always on my mind since I'm nearing 260k miles, but so far so good!

I'm not sure how lung these plugs, wires, rotor, cap were on. I've out on about 2000 miles since I bought it earlier this year. I'm assuming the O2 and exhaust is the next on my list to replace, defintely not the best condition. I've replaced most of the vacuum lines, deleted egr, new pcv and hoses, new intake hose, new oem filter. It doesn't really burn oil, I haven't had to add any since I changed it about 1000 miles ago. It drove fine before the tune up-no misses, although now it definitely idles smoother and more stable. the only code I had was p0401 which was fixed with the egr delete. I'll have to check the plugs again to see what they look like. I need to do the fuel filter as well. Thanks everyone, I'm glad that the first response wasn't "I think its your HG." I should have clarified that ran well before tune up, even better/smoother now. I am unsure about the HG, it's always on my mind since I'm nearing 260k miles, but so far so good!
Get a Blackstone labs oil analysis. They will tell you if there are traces of coolant in your oil. Also you can rent a kit from autozone that tests for combustion gases in your coolant for free.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom