For Sale Rare Red 1989 bj74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Located near Seattle, WA. Washington state title, registration, and customs papers in hand.

140k kms and has been garaged by PO and myself. Lots of custom modifications. Automatic. I have been told that the overdrive on the 5 speeds is not as efficient as the autos. I like the autos myself. Plenty of power and very quick off the line. Running 15# of boost. I am very much starting to prefer the 13bt over the 3b. It has a bit more torque you definitely can notice when driving.

It was previously owned by a mud member who took lots of care to build this cruiser and was the type of person who changed the fluids way more often than needed to be done and was meticulous with his work. It's very, very solid and is not a direct Japanese import and has lots of maintenance history.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New rear brakes, front at 60%
Rotors machined, e-brake adjusted
Raised diff breathers
All new tie rod ends
Old Man Emu Dakar leaf spring lift kit
New front and rear spring pins
New U-bolts and nuts (8)
Rancho RS5116's shock absorber and steering stabilizer
BFG All Terrain T/A KO 31.7x10.7

ARB bumper 70 series front deluxe winch bar, recovery Hooks, Fair-lead.
HELLA H4 spot lights with upgraded 90/100 Watt bulbs, integrated with original OEM in cab toggle switch, ARB winch bar running and turn signal lights, Headlamps are dot approved right facing with upgraded 80/90 watt bulbs.
WARN 8274 winch completely rebuilt with all WARN parts, Winch-It wireless remote, Albright solenoid, In-cab controls with kill switch. 2.5hp 24V motor

ISSPRO boost, pyrometer, and transmission temperature gauges. 24V bulbs with green diffusers. Gauge face was custom made by Crushers.
24v/12v power converter under driver's seat. Sony stereo, Sony 6x9 speakers and Sony 4x4 speakers in dash
Light duty trailer hitch and trailer wiring harness
Cigarette lighter converted to 12v

Aux transmission cooler

Bikini Top custom made by Crushers
Factory stainless roof rails

New water pump and thermostat
Radiator and cooling system flushed
Transmission and transfer case fluid flushed
Filters and fluids changed way more than necessary
Fan clutch rebuilt
New injectors in 2010
Intake manifold gasket replaced
Valve cover gasket replaced
Valves readjusted to spec in 2011
Lubro Moly fuel system flush in 2010
Fuel tank dropped and cleaned with no rust found
Lower radiator hose heater
Wilson switch for glow screen
Additive always ran in fuel
Upgraded primer pump on injection pump
Straight through 2.5 inch exhaust
K&N air filter as well as the factory box and filter (currently running factory filter)

Asking $19,000 USD

WP_000433 (2).jpg

TRUCK.jpg

Gauges.jpg

Winch rebuild.jpg

DSC02066 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered just going to Ebay?

That is the next step. Maybe in a few weeks I'll post it for sale on eBay. I'm in no hurry to sell and the cruiser is starting to grow on me. My daughter says its her favorite because its red. She really wants me to find a purple one with mermaid graphics on it.

oh boy, now that is love ... driving around in a purple cruiser with sexy mermaids on it. talk of the State after that....

oh boy, now that is love ... driving around in a purple cruiser with sexy mermaids on it. talk of the State after that....

A purple cruiser with sexy mermaids deserves a name like "Esmerelda" and a spot on my arm as a tattoo.

The boys on the trail might think twice of making fun of her when they ask for a recovery.

and paint it purple ...
i painted a 40 fucia once for my daughter ... looked nice but then it faded to a dark pink ... that wasn't so good.

Although I was not a big fan of the BJ71 I once owned, I must admit the more I drive the BJ74 the more I like it. The engine and overall size is almost perfect for my needs. :)

Time for a long awaited Christmas bump!

I used the cruiser as a DD over the summer and fall. It's back in the garage for storage. Took it to Torfab to have a look over and he replaced a fuel line and installed some new batteries. Still in primo shape.

148,946 kms currently.

New seatbelts installed for the rear seats. None of the bj74's I have seen have had rear belts or have had them and they were installed without safety in mind. Hex 3/8" flange bolts were mounted the body and torqued down to spec. I think the Aussie ones were the only ones I know of that had rear belts installed from the factory which would be closer to US DOT spec.

I hope everyone has a glass of holiday cheer sometime this week!

What size spacers did you need to run those rims?

Great looking truck! GLWS!

That particular Cruiser is responsible for my strong desire to own a BJ74.
Good luck.....

It was definitely worth the wait time I had before I could import it. When I took a trip to take a look at it I knew I had to have it.

Driving it around is always an adventure and attracts lots of attention. For some reason on sunny days people notice it more often. When it rains here in the evergreen state people are more concerned about not hitting the person in front of them rather than the cool cruiser next to them.

What size spacers did you need to run those rims?

Great looking truck! GLWS!

Thanks! Don't think the PO installed spacers. The offset is good enough to run with this rim/tire combo without any rubbing or handling problems.

JUE_0782.JPG
JUE_0780.JPG
JUE_0794.JPG
JUE_0803.JPG
JUE_0845.JPG
Here are some more pics of the cruiser.

If there are any requests for additional photos PM me.

Last edited:
JUE_0808.JPG JUE_0848.JPG JUE_0851.JPG JUE_0853.JPG JUE_0831.JPG The manuals that are in the photos are all from Japan. One has info about when it was imported and the km's it had. Another seems to be a factory users manual. I also have a heavy duty 70 series body and chassis manual that will be included in a sale.

Torfab also changed out the fuel filter and installed a new housing for the filter.
JUE_0808.JPG
JUE_0848.JPG

What kind of mileage do you see from these? My Crewmax is killing me. Thinking I need another Cruiser. :)

What kind of mileage do you see from these? My Crewmax is killing me. Thinking I need another Cruiser. :)

Around 19 mpg is what I get with mixed driving. Maybe I'll throw in an apple pie and a JDM safari rack if your interested .

You will probably get 40 mpg+ on a 10 mile stretch coming down a mountain pass.

Last edited:
I wish I could give myself elecroshock therapy, and put to rest my intrinsic disdain for RHD trucks.

I wish I could give myself elecroshock therapy, and put to rest my intrinsic disdain for RHD trucks.

Sorry to hear you dislike RHD. Once you learn its really easy. It's kind of scary at first but you just have to wrap your head around it and know that it has been done before. Kind of like learning to ride a unicycle. Pay attention and after a while it will come naturally .

I highly recommend trying RHD before electroshock as you may prefer driving in reverse after electroshock.

one thing i learned after taking litterally thousands of potential customers for test drives in RHD vehicles.
if they say they can't do it, don't bother trying to convince them, as you said, it is a mind set.
one other thing i noticed about those that can't drive RHD in a LHD world...
they suck at driving LHD as well.

I wish I could give myself elecroshock therapy, and put to rest my intrinsic disdain for RHD trucks.[/
Your "intrinsic disdain" for RHD trucks will simply limit your choices for diesel Cruisers in the U.S. by about 90%.
Good luck .....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom