"rare" 91 FJ 80 School me...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a FJ 80 that has a bad knock. This truck has no running boards, sunroof or fender flares. It also has chrome steel rims on it.

I know it is probably not really that rare but what is the story about the different options.

Please Tell me what I have.

Thanks John:popcorn:

Some of the very early US-spec FJ80s came in that "poverty pack" spec. Does it have solid (as opposed to sliding) glass on the sides of the cargo area and no third row seat brackets, too?

Check the build date, yours should be a very early 1991, could even be 11/90 or 12/90.

I just looked this truck was built in April '91. It has sliding rear window and 3rd row seats installed.

John

I just looked this truck was built in April '91. It has sliding rear window and 3rd row seats installed.

Fairly common FJ80 for the US market. No sunroof is a little "rare" (and I use that term loosely) as most were equipped with that option. I don't think we've got to a point where any of the 80-Series sold in the US market are considered rare. The diff lock option is relatively rare but our best sources have the number around 7% of those vehicles that were imported in the US.

More "rare" is later models (96, 97) without 3rd row seats and/or sunroof.

-B-

rare in that it has a 3FE and drums out back, 15" tires, some other fiddly stuff that is not to important.;)

not sure if the 3FE is as bullet proof as the 2F but you'll never have to worry about the FZ engine head gasket like the guys with 93 and up trucks.

on second read, you may wind up doing that as "exploratory surgery"
hope the knock is something you can fix at your leisure and with your own :wrench::wrench:'s

Another non sunroof 91 here. The rule of thumb for a rare 80 is one that has a 1FZ motor, has not had head gasket problems, and is over 200K miles. That's rare.

Same build date as my 91. If you have the VIN handy, PM it to me. I'd like to compare.

At the time I placed my order there were not many in stock at any dealer. They were all being shipped overseas as UN support vehicles for the gulf war. I had to wait 3 months for mine and every option was a la carte. If you didn't want to wait the dealer would tell you what color and options were to arrive at that showroom. Almost every one had some option missing, at least from the 3 dealers I was talking to at the time.

The 91 in question doesn't have the "towing package" [31" tires on 15x7 aluminum rims; fender flares; aux trans cooler (not sure about that one)].

The 3rd seat was an option as was the power moonroof. If it wasn't a special order like mine, it was whatever the dealer could get.

Another non sunroof 91 here. The rule of thumb for a rare 80 is one that has a 1FZ motor, has not had head gasket problems, and is over 200K miles. That's rare.

I don't agree with that. My understanding was that hg failures or problems are very rare.

My 94 had 230,000 miles on it without any problems when I sold it and, at last report, was still running strong for the guy who bought it two years ago.

My 91 has an early build date.......05/1990, it was titled in PA on 7/25/90.
It has a sunroof, flares, running boards, tow pkg, 3rd row seating, 31's on 15x7 aluminum rims, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom