Rant- CV axels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a pic of a HD taken apart? I was under the impression the only difference between them and the regular cardone axles was an improved boot
No pic but the tulip is rzeppa design, so 6-ball joint inside. If the regulars are the same design then they’re also rzeppa.

Based on what I read on this forum and CVJ web site, their CV axles are reman OEM, not aftermarket. Are you saying you got aftermarket CV axles from them? Pictures?

They are supposed to be, you are correct. But if you do some digging you will find that they rebuild lots of stuff and call it OEM. Their "Toyota" specific stuff isn't necessarily but other car mfgrs they do probably are. It is more of a broad sweeping statement that doesn't apply to everything.

I had emails going back and forth with Nitro Gear about their aftermarket axles and they "assured" me they were just like Toyota OEM but never actually confirmed they were. I specifically asked if their axle inner tulip was a 6-ball rzeppa design that mimics OEM. Their response was "they are just like OE axles". So a non-answer answer.

There are guys that have had good luck with the Cardone HD (Napa/Toyota Reman'd) axles but the verdict is still out. In another thread, I think, there was someone that purchased the Toyota Reman'd axles from a dealership, showed pics of the box and everything and pasted on the side was the Cardone HD axle p/n. Talking with one of our club members that is a Toyota Corporate tech, he said they are aware the quality isn't to the original New OE axles and they are working on supply chain items to change that. No ETA or anything, just something they know the reman'd are a crap shoot. If you can get lucky like me and find OE used axles that are in decent shape and replace the outer with new, you can probably get yourself a new set of axles for less than $700 (mine came in under $500 but I got the inner tulips for a steal) which is still considerably less than New OEM.

^^^^

Correct.

And the HD's use a very heavy walled thermoplastic boot (inner and outer).
I wonder if the ball and cage are different size (smaller) than the OE design? Maybe for those that have run into issues this is why they experience vibration and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom