Ranger vs. Gator vs. RTV vs. Mule (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bkfj40

Wishin i was in Wydaho
SILVER Star
Threads
trying to sort out the various utility side by sides...aka UTV.

The portion of the forum for UTV/SxS hasn't seen a post since summer...so I'm posting here.

We live on some acreage with some logging roads on the side of a mountain. Our driveway is long and requires 4 wheel drive....we drive up it a couple times a day in one of the land cruisers, a hilux, or a tundra. I'd like to pick up something smaller to get into the woods as well just be more nimble in chores.

Drove the 900 ranger, the deere gator 825i, mule Pro-FX eps

rzr and the like are gonna have too small a bed for what I need to use it for...

looking for options...

yes, I know I can buy a sidekick for 13 times less and use that, but I want something that I can use or my wife can use and it doesn't require me to wrench on it to keep it running.

suggestions?

I primarily use Mules on campus for the last 11 years...utilitarian, functional, full Curtis cab with heat. Use a Boss UTV power angle plow...sweet ass setup. Not fast, and not a great deal of fun...but a genuine work horse.

How would it do on side hills and logging roads compared to sidewalks full of girls?

Ranger, I have had a fleet of them, they are solid, parts are available, add on market is solid. Can do open or closed cabs.
I liked the John Deere but didnt have much support for them here on the west coast and Baja where we used them.

I have an old Mule that we use mostly for chores and events, plus a little fun.

It more utilitarian than most of the new offerings, including the Mule. But, it has been stone reliable.

We have the hydraulic bed option, which is very nice any time you need to unload. Ours is 4x4, with high/low range and lockers. It will climb a wall and claw through slop fairly well.

Likely not much help, but hope this helps.

The Kubota UTV has my vote. 25 mph max speed with crazy torque and carrying capacity. Diesel as well

I will say, I had a Honda Big Red UTV, that thing was the most reliable tank I ever used, hauled a huge load, went everywhere and never skipped a beat.

Great comments. Keep em coming.

How would it do on side hills and logging roads compared to sidewalks full of girls?

Picture a bunch of young male summer help, fueled by raging testosterone , jumping curbs and sidewalks to get a better look at some muffin that just parked in Lot C and is walking to Admissions ....I think logging roads would be a welcomed break.

Another machine I'd look seriously at would be the Kubota UTV....I think that is a little heavier duty. Currently I'm shopping for a new Tool cat with a 6' snow blower, scraper blade, and forks. That is no toy, comes in around 65K.

On campus they start and stop all day long, and the older one, outside of the back bed starting to rot, is still running strong. The cab does add extra weight, so you need to install heavier springs in front....but in the summer time you remove the doors. There are lighter fabric/plastic options available .

We have a Mule here in Wyoming. 4X4 with lockers and low range. Gets the job done and price was considerably less than some of the others. We put a windshield on it but the rubber grommets have begun to crack...I like the fact that it doesn't go "too" fast and kids can have some safe fun driving it. My neighbor has the Honda Big Red, he really is happy with it. If you have the coin, the Kubota diesel is a dead reliable beast!

Thanks for the input! I sure do miss living in Wyoming :(
We have a Mule here in Wyoming. 4X4 with lockers and low range. Gets the job done and price was considerably less than some of the others. We put a windshield on it but the rubber grommets have begun to crack...I like the fact that it doesn't go "too" fast and kids can have some safe fun driving it. My neighbor has the Honda Big Red, he really is happy with it. If you have the coin, the Kubota diesel is a dead reliable beast!

My vote goes to Kubota, the only thing I don't like is hydrostatic transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom